Asus Mirroring experience

dreuzel

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
As is to expect after a few years I get a disk crash......

But I mirrored the data in question RAID `1 (only data disks) and by now I've got a spare disk
Using an asus P6t V2 Delux.
I've only 4 equal disks setup 1=system 2 =data(empty) 3=4 Raid 0 Bios mirroring
Setting up is quite straigth forward .... except You need a third disk to load the data

now the data is on disk 3 with disk 4 being faulty

THere is no word what to do now ..... documentation remains quiet....

Can I simply throw in an other disk 4 freshly formatted .... and all will be well ????? or is there a risk ?

dreuzel

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
main reason is bad block replacement my assurance ....
and have an excuse to wait for your answer... "just throw it in...."

in parallel I'm running a partial backup to ensure no vital data is lost

If a sector is detected as defective while rebuilding, it will be flagged as bad. That's no different than what happens when formatting the drive. When a drive is defective, we always replace it right away to ensure no data loss should another drive fail.

dreuzel

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I did as proposed, and just trew in the disk.
It happens you have to tell the bios and agree totake the new disk in the mirror.... but it worked....

I still have a question thow:
I mounted the so called defective disk on an other system, there seems to be no problem at all ???!!!!
all is perfect and working

AND then a second asus Question the this ik created BIOS RAID........ but the other system has no RAID setting
just AHI how is it possible it works ?????

The disk might not be defective, but it probably took too long for error recovery. That's what sometimes happens when using hard disks that are not specifically designed for RAID use.

Since the disk was in RAID 1, it is an exact copy of the other disk. Therefore it will work as long as you connect it to a system with AHCI or RAID and a compatible chipset.