Robert

Have a machine with Win98SE on C, and wish to install
WinXP Home on D and use a dual boot.

I installed PowerQuest Boot-Magic version 7.0 since I
want to be able to use this program to choose between 98
and XP.

1) Can I install XP after booting to 98 and lauch the
install program, then choose location ? (assuming D
drive will first have been formatted FAT 32) ? (Or should
I boot from the CD-install program of WinXP ??

2) What do I have to do first, since there is already a
boot.ini file in the system, so I surely can *boot to
something* once I finish install ? (My best bet, I guess,
would be to be able to boot in Win98, then go to
configure BootMagic, is it ok ?

Any issue I should be aware of ?

Thanks,

Rob

Robert wrote:
> Have a machine with Win98SE on C, and wish to install
> WinXP Home on D and use a dual boot.
>
> I installed PowerQuest Boot-Magic version 7.0 since I
> want to be able to use this program to choose between 98
> and XP.
>
> 1) Can I install XP after booting to 98 and lauch the
> install program, then choose location ? (assuming D
> drive will first have been formatted FAT 32) ? (Or should
> I boot from the CD-install program of WinXP ??
>
> 2) What do I have to do first, since there is already a
> boot.ini file in the system, so I surely can *boot to
> something* once I finish install ? (My best bet, I guess,
> would be to be able to boot in Win98, then go to
> configure BootMagic, is it ok ?
>
> Any issue I should be aware of ?
>
> Thanks,

Just install XP from the bootable CD to the D: drive. XP has it's own
built-in boot manager that will work fine in a dual boot system.

How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306559

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP