7850 overclock fail

methodius

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hello, I bought MSI HD 7850 twin frozr III and im not able to overclock it even by small margin i mean it will crush in heaven (or btf 3 for example) no matter voltage or ram clock. I have 2500k, ****ty MSI H61MP23 mbu and 5 to 6 years old PSU fortron 400W. Can psu be problem or just bad luck with 7850 chip?

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
could very well be the psu. i dont recognize the brand which is never a good sign. meaning it probably has a peak output of 400w, and that peak drops with use. not to mention you probably overclock your sandy, which takes a lil more power.

theres an off chance the gpu cant overclock at all, but im leaning towards your psu just not handling the load.

which is not a good sign, even if you dont overclock. that psu is only going to perform worse over time. you may find your current set up even too much for it in the future.

methodius

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
THX
Well my gpu is MSI twin frozr III OC edition (its 900mhz stock only 40 mhz more then reference) and i highly doubt they would sell chip with is able to have stable 900 overclock but not 950. But who knows.

methodius

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
This card SHOULD overclock like a beast!!

Please see:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18389760

a) Do not use (de-install!) CCC.
b) use the mentioned Asus tool.

This card, in particular the MSI, is supposed the BEST overclocker right now with achievable overclocks of 45%-50%, beating GTX 580 performance.

well this thread is pretty much a reason why i expect so much from this card in overclocking

and by the way witch psu would be better for me? http://www.alza.sk/corsair-gs700-d205197.htm or http://www.alza.sk/corsair-tx650-v2-d222798.htm i will add another 7850 later on

methodius

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I can buy HX if i wont but its 40 euro difference and i am not sure if its wort it
I mean its not like cheaper gs model will fail on me or something no?
(and i have to buy another mbu later on, then another gpu and then same 120 hz monitor and it Ain't cheap for me here in Slovakia)

zenzu888

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Most likely due to the PSU. I doubt a 400w PSU with a brand that is not well known could overclock a 7850. This problem also occured when I had a 400w Corsair PSU trying to overclock a GTX 460. Even changing the MHZ by a slight margin crashed my driver causing it to go back to default settings. I've recently upgraded to a 700w PSU and now over clocking perfectly fine.

unaszplodrmann

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Fortron (FSP Group) Have long been a manufacturer of high quality PSU for over a decade. They were responsible for the first 120mm PSUs used by quality case brands such as Inwin and Aopen long before Corsair et al started selling rebranded PSUs manufacturered by the likes of FSP and Seasonic.

If your PSU is in good working order, it may well be strong enough for the 7850. I can't see that card needing more than 30A on the 12v rail. Which Fortron PSU are you using? You should check its output ratings on the sticker. Secondly, it is unlikely that a small bump to the GPU clock without also bumping the voltage would actually stress your PSU signficantly more, assuming your 7850 is stable at default clocks.

Theres always know-it-alls who blame the PSU. I feel sorry for all the people who have unnecessarily bought PSUs due to people who think they know more than they do about electronics. Suggesting that you need a 700-800w PSU for the system you detailed is proposterous - a good 450w would be fine, or a 550w if you want breathing space for adding power hungry components. And unless FSP have taking a steep dive over the past couple of years, don't worry about your PSUs manufacturer. Like I said, theres no shortage of people like zenzu888 who falsely put themselves forward as gurus.

andY biersack

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I had the same problem i will tell you but i need to know if you have windows 7

basiclly what i was going to say is that youre card might not be in high pefrmance mode or just when you play shut off all things that are using the gpu like utube

andiuk007

Honorable
Aug 6, 2012

Hey their pal, would you please post details of you`re stable overclock, I have a HD 7850 2GB and currently have it OC`d at 100mhz, what voltage and memory clock are you running? Thanks in advance :)

Just for the record, Fortron = FSP is a pretty major PSU OEM. Most of their units are sold to system builders or under different brand names, so it's not surprising you haven't heard of them.

They are definitely capable of making top-notch PSUs. Stuff that competes with Corsair, Antec, and - dare I say it - Seasonic. However, since they also make a lot of el cheapo stuff on order for system OEMs, there are also lots of moderately crappy FSP PSUs around. They're not going to be the worst of the worst (no disguising rocks as active PFC coils), but you still get what you pay for.