welshmousepk

Distinguished
hey guys, im hoping someone can shed some light on the issue for me. firstly, im not a tech noob by any means, but my knowledge of PSU is limited so im having trouble identifying my problem/soultion. ive been getting periodic system failures for a while now, but its seems to be getting worse (though this may simply be due to my playing MW2 non-stop, taxing my hardware more than usual.) basically, ill be playing and everything switches off, and my computer reboots. its as if someone just cut the power off at the wall. the PC comes right back on, botts to windows and then runs a DSKCHK. this can happen a dozen times a day when playing alot. windows event viewer shows 'kernal-power' as the critical error, with the message 'The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.' as far as i can figure, this is a dodgy PSU. but the power supply is a coolermaster 650w extreme plus, only 4 months old. it shoudl be more than enough to run my system. ive contacted the site i purchased the PSU from, but in the event they refuse to help, i was hoping someone here can confirm if this IS a power supply issue, before i buy a new one. i was thinking i'd get a corsair PSU if i do need a replacement, since i know they are a good brand. i think the 650w should still be plenty, but should i go for the 750w just to be sure? anyways, my system specs are: Proc: AMD Phenom II 550 BE Mobo: gigabyte ma-770-us2h (form memory, that may be wrong) RAM: 4gb OCZ titanium PSU: coolermaster 650w extreme GPU: HD4890 Turbo. ill provide any other info you think may be needed. and i have opened up to check everything is connexted properly, etc. and this doesn only seem to happen when under load (gaming.) any help appreciated, thanks a bunch.

Your symptoms do match that of an overloaded power supply.

If you know for sure that you are not going to install a second video card, the TX650 will be more than adequate. Otherwise, with future expansion in mind, go ahead and get the 750.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
thats what id thought.

its seems that a 650w PSU should be more than enough though, and since coolermaster are a trusted brand id assumed i was buying a good quality supply.

but i think im gonna go ahead and get the corsair 750w (non modular version). ive heard only good things about them, so i guess its a good choice.

thanks for the advice anyway. ill order the PSU st the same time i get my new mobo and case. that way i can just do one system rebuild and hopefully make a working PC this time...

TRENDING THREADS