Why water cool with 12 volts?

So, with it costing in money twice (once to buy the big PSU, once in waste converting 120 VAC to 12 VDC), why run your W/C stuff off of 12 volts? Doesn't it make more sense to get a 120 VAC water pump, then run your water cooling off of that? Smaller PSU, less waster, seems good to me.

The only complication would be needing a relay to flip on the WC pump when the PC flips on, but that seems easy enough to build.

So, does anyone do this? I'm thinking of getting a water cooling system and running it like this. Any cons I'm missing?
9 answers Last reply
More about water cool volts
  1. emesis said:
    So, with it costing in money twice (once to buy the big PSU, once in waste converting 120 VAC to 12 VDC), why run your W/C stuff off of 12 volts? Doesn't it make more sense to get a 120 VAC water pump, then run your water cooling off of that? Smaller PSU, less waster, seems good to me.

The only complication would be needing a relay to flip on the WC pump when the PC flips on, but that seems easy enough to build.

So, does anyone do this? I'm thinking of getting a water cooling system and running it like this. Any cons I'm missing?

i run my water cooling stuff anf fans off of a secondary psu so there is no drain on the primary psu
  2. I checked about a dozen different pumps at frozenCPU. The most powerful pump I saw pulled 23 watts (about 2 amps at 12 volts).

I don't think that the added complexity of an AC pump is worth the slightly lower power drain of a large PSU.
  3. Plus the one time you forget to turn it on will probably be the last :-)
    Moto
  4. Motopsychojdn said:
    Plus the one time you forget to turn it on will probably be the last :-)
    Moto

yes, but I do not turn it off, so that is not that big of deal for me.
  5. toolmaker_03 said:
    yes, but I do not turn it off, so that is not that big of deal for me.

You could always set up a little circuit to turn it off and on with the main PSU. I think all you'd really need would be a relay.
  6. jsc said:
    I checked about a dozen different pumps at frozenCPU. The most powerful pump I saw pulled 23 watts (about 2 amps at 12 volts).

I don't think that the added complexity of an AC pump is worth the slightly lower power drain of a large PSU.

23 watts, huh? That's less than I was expecting.

I'm looking at a w/c system for my 2500k. I might be back to this sub-forum with some questions soon :)
  7. no way......i dont want 120 volts coming in my rig....120 ac puts out too much "noise" for my comfort....not to mention if you spring a leak in that pump BZZZZZZT...and last but not least, have you seen a 120 pump?????UUUUUUGLLYYYY
  8. badtaylorx said:
    no way......i dont want 120 volts coming in my rig....120 ac puts out too much "noise" for my comfort....not to mention if you spring a leak in that pump BZZZZZZT...and last but not least, have you seen a 120 pump?????UUUUUUGLLYYYY

Actually what got me thinking about it was an aquarium pump with a cast-aluminum, matte finish housing that looked like a nautilus. It was beautiful, but I can't seem to dig the link up again
  9. They make A/C relay switches for pumps, I think FrozenCPU has some (or used to) and I'm pretty positive I've see some on Performance-PCs as well.
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Overclocking