Sign in with
Your question

Why water cool with 12 volts?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 14, 2012 3:50:45 PM

So, with it costing in money twice (once to buy the big PSU, once in waste converting 120 VAC to 12 VDC), why run your W/C stuff off of 12 volts? Doesn't it make more sense to get a 120 VAC water pump, then run your water cooling off of that? Smaller PSU, less waster, seems good to me.

The only complication would be needing a relay to flip on the WC pump when the PC flips on, but that seems easy enough to build.

So, does anyone do this? I'm thinking of getting a water cooling system and running it like this. Any cons I'm missing?

More about : water cool volts

a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2012 6:55:38 PM

emesis said:
So, with it costing in money twice (once to buy the big PSU, once in waste converting 120 VAC to 12 VDC), why run your W/C stuff off of 12 volts? Doesn't it make more sense to get a 120 VAC water pump, then run your water cooling off of that? Smaller PSU, less waster, seems good to me.

The only complication would be needing a relay to flip on the WC pump when the PC flips on, but that seems easy enough to build.

So, does anyone do this? I'm thinking of getting a water cooling system and running it like this. Any cons I'm missing?

i run my water cooling stuff anf fans off of a secondary psu so there is no drain on the primary psu
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 14, 2012 7:27:18 PM

I checked about a dozen different pumps at frozenCPU. The most powerful pump I saw pulled 23 watts (about 2 amps at 12 volts).

I don't think that the added complexity of an AC pump is worth the slightly lower power drain of a large PSU.
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 14, 2012 8:16:00 PM

Plus the one time you forget to turn it on will probably be the last :-)
Moto
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2012 10:14:31 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Plus the one time you forget to turn it on will probably be the last :-)
Moto

yes, but I do not turn it off, so that is not that big of deal for me.
April 14, 2012 10:51:30 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
yes, but I do not turn it off, so that is not that big of deal for me.

You could always set up a little circuit to turn it off and on with the main PSU. I think all you'd really need would be a relay.
April 14, 2012 10:52:50 PM

jsc said:
I checked about a dozen different pumps at frozenCPU. The most powerful pump I saw pulled 23 watts (about 2 amps at 12 volts).

I don't think that the added complexity of an AC pump is worth the slightly lower power drain of a large PSU.

23 watts, huh? That's less than I was expecting.

I'm looking at a w/c system for my 2500k. I might be back to this sub-forum with some questions soon :) 
April 15, 2012 3:59:43 PM

no way......i dont want 120 volts coming in my rig....120 ac puts out too much "noise" for my comfort....not to mention if you spring a leak in that pump BZZZZZZT...and last but not least, have you seen a 120 pump?????UUUUUUGLLYYYY
April 16, 2012 1:42:10 AM

badtaylorx said:
no way......i dont want 120 volts coming in my rig....120 ac puts out too much "noise" for my comfort....not to mention if you spring a leak in that pump BZZZZZZT...and last but not least, have you seen a 120 pump?????UUUUUUGLLYYYY

Actually what got me thinking about it was an aquarium pump with a cast-aluminum, matte finish housing that looked like a nautilus. It was beautiful, but I can't seem to dig the link up again
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 16, 2012 2:47:27 PM

They make A/C relay switches for pumps, I think FrozenCPU has some (or used to) and I'm pretty positive I've see some on Performance-PCs as well.
!