Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Underclocking speakers chirping gpu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 23, 2009 12:01:37 PM

My Nvidia 7600gt was overheating, though the cpu was staying cool as a cucumber. (Gpu getting up to 116c before I was put a desk fan on it) I used a program to underclock the gpu, and now it does not get hot, though I have a chirping looping squealing sound coming from the speakers.

Now I'm wondering if it's 100% the graphics card or if it could be the psu. The psu fan is working now that I underclocked it. However, before I uc'd, only the bottom psu fan was working- the back psu fan was not spinning.

Have done lots of research and it seems that nobody has ever had this exact problem! I figure that even without my system info, that I am specific enough for someone to know what is going on.
November 23, 2009 12:17:51 PM

Are you sure the sound is coming from your speakers and not a capacitor anywhere in your tower?
m
l
November 23, 2009 12:24:17 PM

Yeah, sorry for not giving more information, just doing more research before I try to hit up the store to buy a new part. (I know what I'm doing, but this is just perplexing!)

Yes, I have my headset hooked up since I listen to people in Ventrilo during raids. It's coming from the speakers/headset, for sure. It's like it does it for a few secs, stops for two secs, then does it again. Like it's looping over and over.

A little backstory really fast... it was crashing my computer because it was getting too hot. So I downloaded something to control fan speed, which worked for a while, but then got to where it would overheat no matter what. The whole time, the cpu temp was perfectly fine. So now I got my mobo software to underclock to gpu, which is working fine with the temps now.

Underclocked to:
440 gpu clock
320 memory
Currently 64c idle while surfing sites. Around 80cish while in WoW with settings on low.

Also, only had this card maybe 6 months, last card died as well, blew a little cylindrical capacitor. This one has not blown yet. Psu problem or just a problem with me buying POS graphics cards?

This is the first time I have had any issues with this computer, I custom built it. Everything else has been smooth sailing.

Power supply says XG on the back, I believe that it's 550w or so. Been a while since I built it, been upgrading as I go along. Core 2 duo 2.66 cpu. Once again, sorry for choppy replies and edits, store is like 60 miles from here, trying to get it figured out so I can go. Been researching all day yesterday, just woke up and researching again since I found this chirping problem. ><
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 23, 2009 4:04:03 PM

That is a truly odd problem, try switching out parts before you buy any others, maybe you can borrow off of a friend. I'm not so sure the PSU didn't fry your motherboard., or atleast part of it. One thing is for sure, you need a new video card or you need to clean that one, but that's not the cause of the problem. Sadly if it is the motherboard than its also the PSU that caused it.
November 23, 2009 4:23:59 PM

Still testing everything. Removed the underclocking and am now at around 55c idle. Gpu fan speed is staying at 100% on its own, even idle. Seems that it randomly overheats, been doing it on and off for a few weeks. Checked the voltage temps in the bios, they look normal. Psu fans not spinning at idle right now. Were both spinning when playing WoW.
m
l
November 23, 2009 4:58:18 PM

Alright, decided that I am going to get a new graphics card, researching those now on this site. I have very limited money, so I'm going to take what I can get. Also going to try to clean out my psu when I get back since it's dusty as all heck. I didn't think that would be the main issue since the blades still turn perfectly fine on both fans, but I'll clean it out anyway just for s's and g's. Hoping to somehow get that cleaned out without having to remove the unit, ha! Tons of wires up in there, I don't have the patience to mess with it after dealing with everything for the last few weeks!

Thanks for your help! I'll be visiting this site and forum a lot more from now on. Wish I would have heard about it earlier!
m
l
!