Sign in with
Your question

Intel i7 860 way to hot

Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2010 2:07:03 PM

Hey,

Yesterday all of my pc components were delivered at my local pc store and was put together by the shop owner.
So i went to get and everything seemed fine. But then when i was testing some thing and playing around i saw that my i7 860 was only running @ 2Ghz(133Mhz x 15).
And the normal clockrate is 2.8Ghz, i thought the shop owner clocked it to there for whatever reason so i decided to change it back to 2.8Ghz
at 2Ghz the temps were fine, around 30°C idle, around 50°C at full load.
I went in the bios and all i did was put the multiplier back to 21 instead of 15. (21 x 133 = 2.8Ghz)
I checked the temps again and it was @ 70-75°C so i immeadiatly changed back to 15 because that doesn't sound very healthy for my CPU xD.
I do have the stock intel cooler and i know it sux, but it should be able to keep the CPU cool @ 2.8Ghz, no?
my case also has enough airflow so that's not the problem either.
Did i do something wrong in my bios?(forgot to adjust some other settings or so? didn't do anything with the vcore but i know its pretty important, could that be the cause?)
or is my CPU cooler not working properly?

If u need any other info feel free to ask, all help is appreciated
thanks

More about : intel 860 hot

February 1, 2010 2:12:59 PM

Even with the stock cooler, that is way higher than mine. Is the cooler properly attached? I'm also curious as to why the multiplier was on 15. Did you build this or did the store build it for you?
February 1, 2010 2:16:01 PM

the Shop owner build it together for me.
I also was wondering why it was @ 15
I don't see any reason why he would lower it.
And im pretty sure its properly attached, he guy there has 20 years of pc expiernce so He should be able to attache a CPU cooler the right way.
anyway to check?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 1, 2010 2:54:33 PM

just detach the cooler and reattatch it youself,,, properly.

if that fails return the cpu
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2010 3:14:42 PM

flasheeur said:
Hey,

Yesterday all of my pc components were delivered at my local pc store and was put together by the shop owner.
So i went to get and everything seemed fine. But then when i was testing some thing and playing around i saw that my i7 860 was only running @ 2Ghz(133Mhz x 15).
And the normal clockrate is 2.8Ghz, i thought the shop owner clocked it to there for whatever reason so i decided to change it back to 2.8Ghz
at 2Ghz the temps were fine, around 30°C idle, around 50°C at full load.
I went in the bios and all i did was put the multiplier back to 21 instead of 15. (21 x 133 = 2.8Ghz)
I checked the temps again and it was @ 70-75°C so i immeadiatly changed back to 15 because that doesn't sound very healthy for my CPU xD.
I do have the stock intel cooler and i know it sux, but it should be able to keep the CPU cool @ 2.8Ghz, no?
my case also has enough airflow so that's not the problem either.
Did i do something wrong in my bios?(forgot to adjust some other settings or so? didn't do anything with the vcore but i know its pretty important, could that be the cause?)
or is my CPU cooler not working properly?

If u need any other info feel free to ask, all help is appreciated
thanks

When you saw these temps, was this at %100 load with stress program like prime 95 or idle? If this is %100 then 75c is fine. cpu's will throttle back at around 100c if the temp got too hot.

flasheeur said:
the Shop owner build it together for me.
I also was wondering why it was @ 15
I don't see any reason why he would lower it.
And im pretty sure its properly attached, he guy there has 20 years of pc expiernce so He should be able to attache a CPU cooler the right way.
anyway to check?

Even with "so many" years of experience there always bound to be a mistake. it human nature. Look at mythbusters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkxYpdNDNI0&feature=rela...

a b à CPUs
February 1, 2010 3:21:39 PM

cromedome said:
just detach the cooler and reattatch it youself,,, properly.

if that fails return the cpu

Dont for get to clean the thermal compound off first and put new one on before before placing the HSF back on. Arctic silver 5 is a good one.
February 1, 2010 4:03:24 PM

Yeh I don't have any thermal paste right here so not gonna check the cooler right now.
I'm running @ 2.8Ghz again now with prime95 on.
Realtemp is showing my temps @ 73°C max.
My side panel is still open though, might be like 2-3 degrees more when its back on there.
So it won't hurt my CPU @ 75°C? beacause i read somewhere the max to be safe for your CPU was around 70°C
thanks for the replies.
February 1, 2010 4:11:06 PM

warmon6 said:
Dont for get to clean the thermal compound off first and put new one on before before placing the HSF back on. Arctic silver 5 is a good one.

good point.. thanks for reminding me as i just rebuilt my PC
February 1, 2010 4:14:50 PM

if after 12h of running prime temps are 75 then don't be scared:D 
those are the max that will ever get. i have i7 920 and while running prime temps are about 70-75, but otherway i have never seen more than 60.
(soory for bad english)
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2010 4:24:58 PM

flasheeur said:
Yeh I don't have any thermal paste right here so not gonna check the cooler right now.
I'm running @ 2.8Ghz again now with prime95 on.
Realtemp is showing my temps @ 73°C max.
My side panel is still open though, might be like 2-3 degrees more when its back on there.
So it won't hurt my CPU @ 75°C? beacause i read somewhere the max to be safe for your CPU was around 70°C
thanks for the replies.

the 70c to 75c is for the case of the cpu but not for the individual cores it self.
!