Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sufficient cooling for next build?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 14, 2012 4:21:35 PM

Having come to enjoy a system I built a while back in a Silverstone Sugo SG05 for a friend, I've decided that I want to build the best Mini-ITX system that I can. My budget is about $2800 and I strongly dislike dual-gpu cards so I'll be sticking with the fastest GTX 680 that I can find which will hopefully be the EVGA GTX 680 Hydro Copper Classified if the VRM cooling isn't horrible like it was with the 480s and 580s. If not I might just settle with a reference 680 and an aquagraFX from Aquacomputers. Anyways with that said my build is probably going to consist of the following:

Core Components:

Case: Silverstone Sugo SG08(Includes a 600W PSU)
Motherboard: Either the Asrock Z77E-ITX(If they turn out to overclock the same) or the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
GPU: Some GTX 680
RAM: G.Skill Trident X (2x8GB) 2400Mhz 10-12-12-31
Boot Drive: An msata OCZ kilimanjaro drive if Asrock mobo or the 2.5" OCZ kilimanjaro if Asus mobo.
Storage: 1TB Scorpio Blue 9.5mm high, 5400 rpm

I'd like to overclock as much as possible so the following is the cooling setup I'm planning on using. Initially this setup won't fit but I plan on taking out the hard drive casing and putting the PSU on it's side while reversing its fan so it intakes air from outside and blows it towards the radiator setup.

CPU Block: EK-Supreme-HF-Full-EN(Nickel)
GPU Block: Depends on what I end up doing as far as the GPU is concerned but some type of GTX 680 block.
Pump: Swiftech MCP35X-BK
Reservoir: Technofront Nano Reservoir
Radiator: Magicool 180mm Slim Radiator(180.1)
Fans-Rad: Silverstone FM181 x2(Push/Pull)
Fans-Intake: Scythe 120mm Slipstream 800RPM x2 - These will be mounted next to the GPU to blow air into the case
Tubing: Tygon Silver Antimicrobial ½” ID (¾” OD) - 5 Feet
Anti-Kink Coils: PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils (¾” OD) - 2 Feet
Compression Fittings: Bitspower G ¼, ½” ID (¾” OD) Silver 90° Rotary x5, Straight x7
ModMesh: ModRight ModMesh 480x480x1 HEX Silver - I'm going to use this to change the mount point of the fan/radiator so it fits into the case with the GPU
GPU Compound: Phobya HeGrease Extreme
CPU Compound: Maingear Epic T1000 ETI

After taking various measurements and comparing them to diagrams of the various parts, I believe this will just barely fit. I also plan on putting the 2.5" drives into the area meant for a slim optical drive and placing the pump and reservoir in the space between the PSU and where the GPU would be if it was longer.

Before I actually build this I wanted some third party opinions just to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

Edit: For fan control I'm planning on having one FM181 plugged into the cpu fan header and the other plugged into the case fan header and then setting them to the same temp profiles in the bios. Also will use the two 800rpm fans plugged into the psu to improve airflow to the radiator.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2012 8:31:22 PM

I'd shy away from EK's nickel blocks. Even though they've supposedly fixed the issue, they'll basically hang you out to dry if you have problems and use anything other than premixed coolants (even distilled water isn't quite covered).

I think that 180mm rad should be good - it's close in surface area to a 360mm rad, which should be able to handle a CPU + GPU. Might have some issues OCing though.
April 14, 2012 9:04:18 PM

Thanks for the info on nickel blocks, I'll definitely stick to full copper now that I know that. As to the issues with overclocking, while I'm trying to squeeze every last joule of heat out of the system with a push/pull setup, highest performing parts, etc, I'm also afraid that I may end up being limited by the surface area of the radiator.
m
l
April 18, 2012 2:25:40 AM

Best answer selected by SpartanW80.
m
l
!