Strange issue that I can't fix (Most Likely my GPU)

tennobanzai

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Hey, sorry my first post is asking for help, but i'm in need of advice of what's wrong with my computer. I'll start off by saying i started my gaming off normally, started CODMW2 and right away I can tell i'm FPS lagging a lot. I check my FPS and it is 10-20, when normally it is around 60-70. I restart my comp and still the same. No other programs were running that would make me FPS lag. I double check my power, internet and temps, all normal. I couldn't find out what was wrong, so i was thinking maybe my video card is acting up. So i reinstall the driver with proper steps. I run my 3DMark and its the normal score. I end up reformatting my computer with the same results. BTW, i tried out COD4 and it's still very low FPS.

This past week i just swapped over everything to a new case, so I thought maybe I fried something from static. Although the screen seems normal with no artifacts or discoloration. I load everything fine and fast.

UPDATE: I replugged the power cables to the motherboard and the rest, and it WORKS! It seems everything is back to normal. Now for the bad news.. Just a few hours ago i found out we had a power surge recently... I'm just hoping the power surge did not affect my comp. I do have a power surge protector, but i'm not sure if it helps much. :sweat:

My rig:
i7 920
DDR3 6GB
ATI 5770
650 Watt PSU
Antec 300 case

skate9345

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009

well i had the same problem with my old pc, my fps just went down and down and i didn't knew how and what to do, but then i started checking my pc and opened it up and i found that the cpu fan wasnt spinning because a cable was making it stuck, i don't know if it will help you but just take a look at the pc when its on to see if all the fans are spinning, it doesn't hurt just to take a look but also the motherboard and the grapching card is stuck in the chasi right? because the it becomes antistatic, its why you have that wristband while building because the parts doesn't have conection to some metal, i hope it helps

tennobanzai

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah I actually replugged the GPU and the PCI power connector just in case they were loose. I'll double check to make sure there nothing in the way of the fans, thanks for that idea. The temps are actually all normal when its idle and close to maxed out when i was doing the 3DMark.

I didn't have an antistatic wristband while I was performing the swap..:(
Although i did do the other norms to keep most of the static out too. I live in Hawaii where it is very humid so I didn't really worry much about static, but now im worried thats whats causing my FPS lag. Thanks for the reply

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
download GPU-Z, and check the card gpu and memory clocks are running at the correct speeds.

If not it might be a psu problem.

A bit of a guess, but its all I can think of. It also may pay to check your cpu and system ram freq to rule that out as a problem.

tennobanzai

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009

thanks, i downloaded GPU-Z and i found one thing strange. The speed of the CPU stay around 2600-2850MHZ, but i never overclocked. Is this normal for a i7 920 (2.67Ghz)?

UPDATE: I replugged the power cables to the motherboard and the rest, and it WORKS! It seems everything is back to normal. Now, Just a few hours ago i found out we had a power surge recently... I'm just hoping the power surge did not affect my comp. I do have a power surge protector, but i'm not sure if it helps much. :sweat: