Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Low budget system, $500 range

Last response: in Systems
November 18, 2009 4:07:32 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:As soon as I figure out what to get. BUDGET RANGE: around $500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: internet usage, internet browser games (Mafia Wars on Facebook), viewing photos, listening to music, burning cds, dvds, etc...

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor speakers, OS (have Windows 7)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: loyal to newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: want parts with good reputations... no off-brands like Banana Joe RAM or whatever

OVERCLOCKING: Nah, not with this PC. It's not going to run anything worth OCing.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: probably 1024x768 if we are looking for a thrill

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This PC is for my mom. It's going to replace an almost decade old, busted up Dell that struggles to load Firefox. I think she'll be happy if her new PC can turn on in under 5 minutes. I recently built myself an i5 system, and she got jealous watching me be able to load my web browser in about 2 seconds after typing in my password to log in Windows. This will be her early Christmas present.

Thanks!

Best solution

November 18, 2009 4:28:59 AM

Hmm i really think the onboard HD4200 shall serve her well but if u disagree there is always room for a HD4670/9600GT and still be within budget hehe
November 18, 2009 4:49:35 AM

Onboard should be sufficient. I don't see her ever running a game that would require an additional card. How is the case for sound? I forgot to mention that a quiet case would be a plus.
m
l
Related resources
November 18, 2009 4:55:55 AM

Rarely hear noisy Antec casings but i suppose one could pay more attention to the aftermarket cooling if ultra silent is the order of the day hehe
m
l
November 18, 2009 8:17:05 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I went with everything except I upgraded the burner and the hard drive.

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106289

Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive 64.99

The LITE-ON had better reviews and Dual Layer support. The HD was 9 bucks more but 250GB more and 32 cache instead of 16. Both are OEM. It should be fine.

I've got G.SKILL RAM in my machine. I like it a lot. Hopefully it will work out okay in this new machine.

Thanks again for your help. I'm ordering everything right after I post this.

m
l
!