I Need help finding the right motherboard ! helppppppppppp

MiLKMAN4339

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Hi, I currently have a computer with an E5200 pentium dual core processor. I've been seeing articles that it does pretty well at overclocking . I would like to know some motherboards
i could purchase that will allow overclocking with ddr2 memory , and of course a lga 775 socket. thank you in advance.

MiLKMAN4339

Distinguished
May 3, 2010

current mobo is a gateway G33MO5G1, with intel g33 chipset . and of course, bein a gateway/intel , the bios settings are pretty much locked if im not mistaken

MiLKMAN4339

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
What's wrong with your current mobo? What's your budget and you do you need integrated graphics?
Nothin wrong with current mobo, i would just like to get the most out of my cpu if i can. i guess i would go $150-200 max on mobo, and im not an avid gamer, i do play a couple but, i usually watch alot of streaming TV so, i guess i could go either way on the grafics.

randomkid

Distinguished

Okay. Intel chipsets pretty much stinks. They are hopeless for overclocking.

Instead of buying a $150-$200 motherboard, why don't you just buy a $200 processor. Of course you are still stuck with the non-overclockable motherboard but you got a more powerful processor anyway like this for $190:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

Here is the improvement:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/55?vs=66

MiLKMAN4339

Distinguished
May 3, 2010

Not gonna work , as i said, i would like to use my ddr2 memory i already have and this board requires ddr3 but thx. anyway

MiLKMAN4339

Distinguished
May 3, 2010

looks good the only problem i can see is the e5200 runs at 45w and e8500 runs at 65w

MiLKMAN4339

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Do you really want to dump $150-200 into a obsolete s775 system?

Are the overclocking bios settings locked on your current mobo? You seem to not even know, yet you want a new mobo.

I'd like your full system specs, because they new mobo and it's cost will really depend on what components you already have.

Do you have a video card? How many ram sticks do you have? How many IDE devices do you have?

I would suggest just getting a good ole G41. They are great overclockers, have excellent onboard graphics and are cheap. But only has 2 dimm slots and 1 ide connector.

You can get them as cheap as $35 but I would suggest this one because I have used it many times. Great board. Corporate stable model.

http://www.directron.com/p5g41mlecsm.html

This is the cheapest price around, already checked.
this requires ddr3 , as i stated, id like to use the ddr2 i already have . thx

randomkid

Distinguished

What about the $155 AMD CPU & Motherboard combo I posted?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.382195&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

randomkid

Distinguished
He's looking for a motherboard to overclock his E5200. Why would he be interested in a AMD cpu and motherboard combo?? Hello....
Hello to you too...
You have to look into the roots of things to understand where I am coming from. He wants to overclock... why? to get better performance from his rig. Would you encourage him to do so by buying a $150-$200 motherboard to OC an old and aging E5200 if he can get a newer motherboard + CPU at the same price range? I wont.

And even if he was looking for a new CPU (which he's not), that motherboard is DDR3, how are you going to insert DDR2 into a DDR3 motherboard?? LOL
Hello.... did you check? It is an AM3/AM2+/AM2 board therefore it supports DDR2 not DDR3.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394
Hello... LOL

Gotta love this place.
I do... :kaola:

randomkid

Distinguished
Dude, I recommended a G41 which is $35-60, not $150-200...........

The board you listed the first time was an AM3 board, not AM2+/AM3, you changed it, nice try though. :hello:
Sorry, but no. I got it right the first time. The only thing I added to that post is the fact that he can reuse his DDR2 RAM for that motherboard. I was particular about that. You must have confused it with other post.
A pity you did not quote it so you won't have the chance to accuse anyone of editing the poster anything you are wrong about.

randomkid

Distinguished
Dude, I recommended a G41 which is $35-60, not $150-200...........
Even then, what for? It's a waste of money to buy a low & dead end motherboard and OC an aging CPU. The OP said he is willing to spend $150-$200 on an overclockable motherboard so I just gave him something to think about for the same amount of money.
It is thinking outside the box, if you know what I mean. ;)

randomkid

Distinguished
He has a E5200. He want's to overclock it. I gave him a way to do that for not $150-200, but for $35-50.
He can take it or leave it.
Sure. That is up to him in the same way as my out of the box recommendation can be "take it or leave it".

By the way, you can check that the edit date&time on my post about the AM3/AM2+/AM2 board recommendation was earlier than your post laughing at me saying that my motherboard recommendation is AM3.

Here are the dates & time for your easy reference but you can check it yourself:
Message edited by randomkid on 05-24-2010 at 10:14:22 AM
Your post: 05-24-2010 at 09:07:03 PM

Just to set the record straight.