Sign in with
Your question

Where is my Start Menu, taskbar, icons & curser ?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 9, 2011 8:55:16 PM

On booting all is O.K. until after the "Starting Windows" screen, usually a blue Windows 7 "Welcome" screen appears, but if my screen goes black for approx 10 seconds instead, I then know that when the Desktop appears there will be no start menu, taskbar, icons or mouse curser only the pretty picture of the desktop. About 50% of the times this happens the curser appears and and can be moved around the screen, but cannot activate anything. There are only two ways to switch off the P.C. by removing power or holding start button in. This failure to boot correctly happens in 75% of starts, but when it does start O.K. it does as if there had been no problem. On checking the Event Viewer, all it states is that "System was rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" When I restart in Safe Mode everything loads O.K. To eliminate any possible conflicts with software/hardware, I reinstalled Windows 7 with a Clean Install, also downloaded every available update for the system and only essential hardware before putting on any other program/hardware - the problem was still there.
When I disabled the driver of the HD5850 graphics card in Device Manager, everything was O.K. again (except for the poor graphics) so I assumed the GPU was at fault, so I replaced it with a known good card - still the same !!
I should also mention that Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing at all.
I would be very grateful if anybody out there could suggest a remedy for this VERY frustrating fault to let me know of a remedy, and have seen many, many postings on other sites going back to XP days of a similar fault, So what are Microsoft doing about it ???
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2011 9:29:36 PM

Can u run Memtest or Windows memory diagnostics?

It looks like video driver could be the suspect. Sometimes its not good idea to upgrade the video driver.

It happens all the time. Try to use some older driver.
October 9, 2011 11:12:54 PM

Hi nikorr, Ran Memory Diagnostics - all O.K. I used the original C.D. (couple of years old) and tried to install an old driver, but it told me that there was an updated driver and it automatically installed it !
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 10, 2011 5:00:33 AM

Dump AMD Catalyst Install Manager in add/remove programs.
Download http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
Run DS is safemode
Tick off AMD display
Analyze and clean files
Restart in normal mode
Download latest CCC 11.9 from AMD
Install as ADMIN
Never take hardware updates from MS or Steam or anyone else = AMD only
Always follow the above procedure when updating gpu drivers = less headaches
Dump old ones first
It's worked for me for years.
If you still have issues i would suspect your psu might be at fault.
Something up with +12V supply.
October 10, 2011 8:45:19 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!
I also posted my problem on The MESH Owners Forum, and got this suggestion:
Right click on desktop > Choose Screen Resolution > on "multiple displays"
I changed from "Duplicate the displays" to "SHOWDESKTOP ON ONLY ONE"
> apply. It worked for me on my Windows 7.
On VISTA: Personilize > Display Settings > then click 2nd.monitor > uncheck the box
that says "extend the desktop into this monitor" press O.K.
It fixed my problem - hope it works for you.
a b $ Windows 7
October 10, 2011 10:34:44 PM

You would have got the answer here had your question been clearer.
A fresh install doesn't set-up dual monitor settings by default.
Something you fiddled with.
Anyways i'm glad your problem is solved.
October 11, 2011 10:42:19 AM

davcon said:
You would have got the answer here had your question been clearer.
A fresh install doesn't set-up dual monitor settings by default.
Something you fiddled with.
Anyways i'm glad your problem is solved.

Sorry davcon,

you are right, I must have been fiddling after my w7 clean install, however I have learned a lesson, and it may have helped someone else reading this posting,
thanks for your help.
!