• Motherboards
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2010 3:58:05 PM

Hello

I'd like to know if my AM2 motherboard is compatible with an AM3 cpu, the mobo is
an AM2NF6G-VSTA and the cpu is the AMD Athlon II X3 425.

The specs of my mobo are:

CPU - Socket AM2 for AMD Athlon™ 64FX / 64X2 / 64 and Sempron processors
- Supports AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet Technology
- FSB 1000 MHz (2.0 GT/s)
- Supports Untied Overclocking Technology
- Supports Hyper-Transport Technology
Chipset - NVIDIA® GeForce 6100 / nForce 405

This FSB frequency seems bad for the AthlonII but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks in advance.

More about : am2 motherboard compatibility athlon

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2010 4:08:52 PM

Sorry, I forgot to say that in the mobo manufacturer's cpu compatibility list only AM2 cpus appear but I don't know if the list is updated.
m
l
February 1, 2010 4:17:13 PM

Someone else may correct me if I'm wrong, but I think generally AM3 cpu's work only in AM3 and AM2+ boards, not AM2 as they lack appropriate voltage support.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 6, 2011 10:56:42 AM

You are wrong, AM3 CPUs do work in old AM2 boards. They are usually compatible with a bios upgrade. Sometimes the bios updates are not listed on the manufacturer's website but are released. In your case there is a bios update for AM2NF6G-VSTA. It is Bios 2.39 and you won't find it on AsRock's website. Instead you can find the bios update on www.pctreiber.net. It's a German site. All of the Athlon II and Phenom II Processors should work if they are 95 watts except for the X6. Bear in mind that the HT speed will be cut down because AM2 boards only support up to HTT 1.0 but that will have little impact on your overall performance.

Baseline Benchmarks gathered from passmark Performance test 7.0

#1 Athlon II X4 630@ 2.8GHz scored 3546 CPUMARKS running on HTT 1.0
#2 Athlon II X4 630@ 2.8GHz scored 3595 CPUMARKS running on HTT 3.0

In the Benchmarks #1 had 4GB of 667MHz DDR2 RAM on an N68S3+ motherboard
In the Benchmarks #2 had 4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 RAM on a GA-MA78LMT-US2H motherboard.

Both systems were running Windows 7 64-bit.

As you can see, HTT 1.0 to HTT 3.0 has little effect on the system performance and it is consistent on systems running the same software with the same amount of RAM and such. Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject for other people who are interested.
m
l
!