What gaming gpu is enough.

iamoni

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I,ve read about the Radeon HD 5870 and its' impressive performance, but some of its' speccs were like having able to use multi monitors.
are there AMD GPUs that have the same power/speed of Radeon 5870 but do not have the fancy multi monitor support? What is the technical term for Multi monitor support?
How about tv out support?what's the tech term for it?

Eyefinity is the term ATI is using for it's new multi-monitor support and no there's no card similar to the HD5870 that lacks it. Why you would want that anyway I don't know. Any card you buy will support multiple monitors and connecting a TV, Eyefinity just lets you use them all as if they were one monitor.
As for the question in the title of your thread you haven't at all indicated what "enough" you are aiming at.

"What gaming GPU is enough" that is a loaded question. IT'S NEVER ENOUGH. haha.

Honestly, I am not sure what you are aiming at with your questions. So far all 5xxx series cards have the ability to connect up to 3 displays. They have (2) DVI connections, 1 display port, and 1 HDMI. You can use any combo to use dual screens, but you MUST use the display port if you intend to use 3. There will even be a 5870 with 6 display ports available, from what I've read.

This is just the way the market is going. Why wouldn't you want the options to use these ports? Plus then they don't have to have all these flavors of cards, ones with dual DVI, ones with a DVI and HDMI, ones with display port. It's a great idea to stay uniform and cover all your bases. It saves money to.

If you buy a 5870, as the fastest single GPU card, I would expect nothing less than all the extras. You don't buy a brand new BMW and not expect heated leather seats do you?

iamoni

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009

What is DVI and HDMI?