Mobo replacement: missing standoffs

mscholtz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
So I'm attempting to replace the mobo and CPU in my 5-yr-old Antec case. First time I've done this. I got everything out, but when I go to install the new board, I find that the instructions call for 8 screws and standoffs, but my old board only had 6. And of course the new board didn't come with any hardware, other than the plate for the ports in the back of the case.

I tried to get some today, but failed. (Radio Shack misled me to think they could provide some, and I didn't find out they were wrong until other stores were closed. I'd like to get this system built this weekend, everything's closed tomorrow here.)

So a couple of questions:

First and foremost, can I safely install the new board with fewer standoffs than is called for? 6 instead of 8? I guess there will be more flex than we'd like, but how big a risk am I taking?

This is my board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131623

Second, if that's not a good idea, do laptops tend to have mobo standoffs in them? I have a old dead Compaq laptop lying around waiting to go to the recyler. I could scavenge it for parts, but don't want to take the time to pull it open if it doesn't use the same sort of hardware.

Thanks!

mscholtz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

OK, good to know.
What's front and back here? You mean front as in front of the case? So leave the holes open that are near the I/O ports? Won't that mean more flex when plugging stuff in?

Front is by the ports, when looking down at the interior of the case, as the ports face forward when mounting a board. You can use those small paper washers with the mounting screws if you have them. For standoffs, case hardware bags of screws contain them, but radio shack won't carry this. Newegg or Frys electronics will. But you don't really need any more.

mscholtz

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

OK, here's a diagram of my board showing the holes:

mobo_holes.png

So you're saying I should leave off the 2 rightmost screws marked with arrows? My concern there is that they seem to be supporting the area containing the memory slots. I can install my RAM before installing the board (if that's safe to do) but it's likely I'll be adding more RAM down the road. w/ those 2 screws missing, will installing RAM in the mounted board be a problem?

Thanks again!

My most recent build had a motherboard that came with a few extra screws and a few exrtra standoffs. Not a complete set, but a few extras.

There is that potential. The board will flex more. If you choose this route, you will need to be more carefull working with the board once installed. But its not that unusual. There are some boards that come with just two rows of standoffs.

TRENDING THREADS