Sign in with
Your question

Any 24" monitor recommendations?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 23, 2009 3:44:34 PM

I'm in the market for a 24" monitor and I've been looking at this Asus. Anyone know if Asus monitors are good and if I can get anything better for the money?

I need to stay under $200, so I'll have to go for a cheap TN panel. I'll be using it for fast-paced gaming, so response time is more important than color accuracy.

Thanks
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
November 23, 2009 4:52:32 PM

ASUS does make some low cost nice monitors. They are bright and good for gaming, but the colors tend to be lacking especially when you want completely accurate color for real fine graphic apps. But for gaming they are great. My buddy has the 25.5" 2ms model.

That monitor is fine and nice with the rebate, but for fast paced gaming you want the fasted response time you can. I'd stick with a 2ms model if I were you, possibly the one below. In no way would the one you list be bad, but the tendency for ghosting would be higher on a 5ms over a 2ms. And I hate ghosting. I am looking for a new monitor after xmas. I have a 5ms dell 22"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 23, 2009 5:45:10 PM

watch out for dead pixels...make sure you get it shipped by Fed-Ex or you may have to count the dead pixels before they grant you an RMA.... UPS likes to kick their boxes around the warehouse ;) 
Related resources
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
November 23, 2009 5:50:04 PM

I had a bad experience with Viewsonic with those stupid stuck pixels. They did make me count them. This was 4 years ago before I knew what it was for. haha.

I like my UPS people, the area distribution center is right up the road and the girls in the store know me by name. I'd throw a fit if a box came in damaged. I'd break some heads and make sure they pay for it's new replacement.

a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 23, 2009 5:56:26 PM

yea, for normal items like fans, cathods, HDD's etc.. I can go with UPS, but for monitors I use Fed-Ex, specially since I already had an issue with the EGG last time UPS sent me a dead monitor.... Box was crushed on all 4 corners and they almost made me count the dead pixels when the monitor would not even power up...
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
November 23, 2009 6:04:01 PM

WOW. I usually have them hold the package at UPS if its of somewhat value and I pick it up over lunch. I don't think I would even accept a package that was damaged like that. I'd file a report on the spot before I even open it.
November 23, 2009 6:04:11 PM

> they almost made me count the dead pixels when the monitor would not even power up

Let's see: 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 dead pixels (two million seventy-three thousand six hundred)

That was easy!

MRFS
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 23, 2009 6:05:59 PM

well the Egg sent me a replacement that same day, the only issue was dealing with the trip to UPS and sending back the dead monitor....
November 23, 2009 6:46:59 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll go with fedex, then. The Asus VH242H says 5ms, but I believe that's black to black. I think it's 2ms grey to grey.

Anyway, I'll check out those other monitors too.

EDIT: I just saw the peripheral/monitors sub forum. Sorry I put this in the wrong one.
November 23, 2009 7:31:32 PM

I always stick to sammy or LG with my monitors
!