Gigabyte EP45 UD3LR not booting

G

I've just put together a new build using the following....

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 2.83GHz.
Corsair 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400.
MSI 9800GT 1GB GDDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card.
Coolermaster Elite 330 Case With Coolermaster eXtreme Power 460W PSU
Samsung SH-S223 22X DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA
2x Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache

this is my 3rd build so i'm still a newbie.

I've put everything together and the board won't boot....MB lights come on, case and other fans spin,
but the CPU fan doesn't start up...it only starts spinning when I turn off the PSU.
there is no sound through the speaker and although the power switch turns it on, the reset
switch doesn't seem to work and the only way to turn it off is by using the psu switch on back.

I thought the problem may have been a short, so I took everything out of the case and placed the
board on a wooden panel connected it without any ram, graphics card, or drives
and still I have the same problem...no cpu fan and no beeps

anybody help?

bilbat

Splendid
You don't mention it - just "there is no sound through the speaker "- do you have a 'case speaker' hooked up? No 'beeps' come from the board - you need to supply the speaker:
http://store.cwc-group.com/casp.html
With no RAM, the board can't start up, anyway - while it's out of the case, try adding one stick of RAM, in the slot closest to the CPU, and the vidcard...

In some respects, it sounds like a 'failed closed' power switch. If you have access to a multimeter:
0165.jpg

check that there is no continuity between the two wires on the switch header when the button is not depressed; alternatively, try starting it up by (very carefully!) momentarily 'shorting' the board's pins:
power2.jpg

One more: do you have the ATX12V 2x2, or 4x4 PSU connector plugged into the MOBO?