HDD or Online storage.

Ironman01

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
I currently have a 320gb western digital blue 7200 rpm HDD that came with my CM 690(great deal, 89 bucks for case n harddrive so i essentially paid 20bucks for it, thanks newegg tho i missed the previous special with the western digital black series : / )

1) Now my questions is, should I invest in 1-2 TB harddrive this christmas, or go for something like Amazon S3 or the microsoft cloud thats coming out http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Microsoft-Windows-Azure-Cloud-Storage,9104.html
Thats .15cents for a GB....sounds awesome,

Or maybe get a 500Gb Spinpoint as a secondary harddrive and invest in a one of the services as well. Anyone have any experience with amazon S 3 ??

2) Also I was wondering since I got a new pc recently(thanks to the help of this forum :D) what programs should I download to keep optimal efficiency. I settled for Avira anti virus. But programs to know the temp of the cpu etc, and whatever else you guys use to really keep tabs on how well the pc is running or to help it run better.

Any help is appreciated as always :)

Ironman01

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

Great!! thanks for the info, btw I used your "recommended build by usage" thread heavily when I built my pc, its a mix of the budget and gamer builds with the i5 except I went with the HD 5770, the antec truepower 750 psu, the UD4P, and a CM 690 case minus the cooler. I got great deals on combos which made everything come out to the budget %800. (I just looked back and realized you posted these programs you just recommended lolol, i feel dumb now)

I have a question though, I want to buy another HD 5770 to crossfire in the near future, maybe christmas or january, now I have a Truepower 750W which can easily handle it and I am not planning to overclock my CPU. So would I need a cooler(off which if you think I do I'll get the CM 212 hyper) ? I have not added any additional fans to the CM 690 which contains 3. Should I had a Cooler for when i crossfire, or is it even needed right now ? Or should I maybe add more fans... Im not quiet sure how do go about that.

tecmo34

Administrator

I can't answer that question right at the moment. Find out what your temperatures currently are on your CPU, which will help determine if you need a HSF like the CM 212 hyper. Adding another GPU won't effect your CPU temps a great deal. It will have more effect on your original GPU, so an additional side fan might not be a bad idea.

Ironman01

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

Sounds great to me. I will purchase a additional fan when I decide to crossfire then just to be on the safe side. Sorry for all the questions, but do you know what my cpu temp should be so when I get the results (at work now so I cant check till I get home and run the programs you mentioned) I know whether a HSF is needed now or not?

You have been a great help indeed, I have been playing mw2 and farcry 2 with everything on high just smoothly with a HD 5770 which is great. I am so loving my machine>

tecmo34

Administrator
Your PC is safe at idle in the 30's Celsius range, if your room is around 22C to 25C (lower if your room temp is lower or higher if you room temp is higher). At full load you want to be no higher than the mid 50's to upper 50's to be on the safe side. If you are idling in the mid 40's/ full load in the mid 60's, I would recommend removing and reapplying your heat sink to make sure it & the thermal compound was applied correctly and if that doesn't help, purchase the CM Hyper 212 Plus or another cooler.

Ironman01

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

Thanks alot man, again you have been a great help. I really appreciate it :D