Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core i7 860 High temps?

Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2010 6:56:49 PM

Hi!

I would like to ask if the temps I am having are too high for my i7 860. Here are my computer spcs:

Intel Core i7 860 running at stock clocks(2,8) and with stock cooler
ASUS maximus III formula
Corsair 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Corsair 850W TX
XFX Hd 5870

Here are the temps I get with the stock cooler from intel:

Running no programs: 45-47C
Running some programs(Mozzila, Steam and Spotify(Music Streaming program)): 47C
Running Crysis: 50-66
Runnign Arma II: 55-68

I am pretty sure the temps are high, I got a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus that I was too lazy to install(The manual gives me nighmares) and the mounting bracket is really a pain. Should I wait a bit longer till I instal the 212 Plus(I have had the computer in 1 month around), install it right away or buy a better cooler? If to buy a better cooler which one do you recommend(I can spend up to $80 on it).

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
a b à CPUs
February 1, 2010 7:33:48 PM

Cooler Master Hyper 212 is an excellent cooler...i'd say its one of the best coolers not just for its price range but competes well with CPU coolers more expensive then it. I would keep it and use it.
February 2, 2010 7:06:14 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 is an excellent cooler...i'd say its one of the best coolers not just for its price range but competes well with CPU coolers more expensive then it. I would keep it and use it.

But are my temps high?

Thanks
Related resources
February 2, 2010 8:26:46 AM

If those are your 860 core temps then they are fine. No need to worry.
February 2, 2010 12:43:42 PM

Your temps are high, but I don't think the cooler is the problem. What are your ambient temps? What's the airflow in your case like? What thermal paste did you use? Are you sure the cooler is properly mounted? I don't think throwing more money at this problem is the right way to go about it.

My i5-750 at stock speed idles at or around 20C in my BRUTALLY cold lake cabin... but at no point would it idle as high as your 860... or anywhere close to it for that matter... not even in the middle of summer.
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2010 6:15:25 PM

Your temperatures are perfectly fine and well within the safe range. Stock coolers aren't that good from intel anyway but the temps are nothing to worry about.

If you put in the CMHyper212+ then i bet temps will be much much lower then now.
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2010 8:33:08 PM

erikjansson said:
Hi!

I would like to ask if the temps I am having are too high for my i7 860. Here are my computer spcs:

Intel Core i7 860 running at stock clocks(2,8) and with stock cooler
ASUS maximus III formula
Corsair 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Corsair 850W TX
XFX Hd 5870

Here are the temps I get with the stock cooler from intel:

Running no programs: 45-47C
Running some programs(Mozzila, Steam and Spotify(Music Streaming program)): 47C
Running Crysis: 50-66
Runnign Arma II: 55-68

I am pretty sure the temps are high, I got a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus that I was too lazy to install(The manual gives me nighmares) and the mounting bracket is really a pain. Should I wait a bit longer till I instal the 212 Plus(I have had the computer in 1 month around), install it right away or buy a better cooler? If to buy a better cooler which one do you recommend(I can spend up to $80 on it).

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

well, compaired to these guys

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1060/5/

i think your temps are fine.
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2010 10:18:32 PM

Yes, your temps are fine on a stock cooler. Only add a new heatsink/fan if you plan to overclock. Otherwise, your cpu is fine as is.
February 3, 2010 1:28:52 AM

$&@! I misread the OP's post. I read where he got a real cooler, but I apparently missed the part where he said he hadn't installed it. Ugh... stock cooling? Lame.
June 26, 2010 6:52:37 PM

rodney_ws said:
$&@! I misread the OP's post. I read where he got a real cooler, but I apparently missed the part where he said he hadn't installed it. Ugh... stock cooling? Lame.

Getting 20-30C on idle and 40C on 100% now. On the Hyper 212 Plus
!