Inefficient Corsair H80 mounting

alanb1976

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Hey all
I've recently bought a new rig with a Corsair H80 and am so confused on an efficient way to mount it. To get the best cooling for the CPU, I don't want it set as an exhaust, rather as an intake. Problem I have with this is that the overall setup still seems inefficient. I say that as I would need to mount the radiator at the back exhaust fan in the reverse configuration blowing in. The air that it will use will therefore be from the back of the case where the PSU and GPU is exhausting hot air. So, while it will be cooler than taking from inside the case, it will still be warmish.
I was wondering if anyone has a way of mounting the H80 that makes sense. The only idea I've had so far is to set it in an exhaust configuration but install flexible ducting on the inside fan through the case to a more front side area to get cooler air. This will then exhaust to the back as with the other components and also not have the hot exhaust air of it blowing onto the internal components.
Any other advise or ideas?
thanks
Alan

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
you neglect to mention your case....

that would help...

as long as you have decent airflow through your case using it as an exhaust is fine....we're really only talking about a 2c diff max!!! that wont make or break your overclock

check out my 2nd pic in sig to see i have exp with this

alanb1976

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

The case is a Sharkoon T9 (http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1858), which has 2 intake fans at the front bottom. There is supposed to be an exhaust fan at the back top, but that is where the radiator will be mounted.
I thought there would be a much greater temperature difference than 2 deg. I see your rig has quite a few fans producing good air flow. Do you not think mine is a bit limited and might have the internal temperature sitting a bit higher?
I did think about installing a 120mm at the top to exhaust but also don't want too many fans as I want a relatively quiet pc. Yes, I know, I can't have everything! But I am still finding my happy medium between performance and quiet.
Thanks again

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
having 2 intake fans and only 1 exhaust fan your only realistic option is to mount it as the exhaust....fliping the back fan to "intake" would not only mean no exhausting of the warmer air, but positively pressurizing the case to the point where you'd be lowering the amount of air the fans around the radiator can move......another reason to not use the rear as an intake would be the lack of dust filtration....you'd quickly build up dust minimizing the cooling capabilities.

if you do go the modding route....id get some modders mesh and cut 2x120/140mm fans at the top, dust filter the rear fan, and then flip to intake!!!

yes you can have everything,,, you just gotta mod it!!!

I agree with badtaylorx - you should have your airflow setup as efficiently as possible (in this case, front to back).

The loss of cooling ability due to slightly warmer air is compensated for by the extra amount of air that flows through the radiator in the better setup. Your cooling should be fine with the H80 as an exhaust.

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Test it as an exhaust setup and monitor your temps. I have mine setup as intake but I also have a top exhaust fan so need to flip the setup for me.

alanb1976

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Thanks for the replies.
I think I'll end up installing an additional top fan to exhaust anyway, just to get a better air flow. Now to buy a 120mm hole saw or test my dremel skills :p

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
if tools are a issue, do you have a table saw, you can put a concrete blade in it and clamp the case to the top of the table saw. draw a square inside the circle you wont to cut, and place one of the lines where the blade will come up throw the table. with the saw all the way down turn it on, and slowly raise until the line has been cut completely, and repeat for all 4 lines. now for the round lines, a grinder is the easiest way, but if you have a spice rack that turns the bottom of this is great for a turning jig. remove the round turning piece from the bottom of the spice rack, and silicon it to the top of the case so that it does not obstruct the hole that you are trying to cut. then silicone the turn piece to the top of the table saw so that the position of the case is placed for the saw blade to go from one corner, to the other corner diagonally, for the square the you have already cut out. now all you half to do, is turn on the saw and slowly turn the case until the circle has been cut out, ok your done. or you can buy a really big hole saw, there not cheap.