Asus P7P55D-E

matata

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Can anyone tell me if the Asus P7P55D-E has a connection for SATA II and has this MOBO anything to recommend it over the slightly cheaper
P7P55D-E LX other than crossfire which I won't need? Alternatively is one of the other varieties of the Asus preferable?

ashkaji

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

The P7P55D-E Isnt ideal for a crossfire/sli (its 2nd PCI-E slot only runs @ x4) You wouldent get the most out of it regardless.

If SLI is a factor the E - Pro would be better. Not sure if RAID 0-10 function with the SATA 6gbs It doesnt specify on newegg. And the AsusTek site wont let me check for some reason. :|

If you only plan to have one Videocard, the LX seems like a fine choice. Save some $$
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0/1/5/10 (Only support for SATA 3.0Gb/s ports)

As for the new SATA and USB3 , It seems to be tricky. Sometimes these features are addons to the board at a comprimise of PCI-E x16 lane use. Which can hinder Graphics performance in SOME cases.. Unfortionatly its beyond me which boards are and arn't effected by this.

Since your not going SLI, I dont think its an issue. The LX should be fine as long as the lack of raid for Sata 6gbs isnt a problem. (for future proofs sake). I dont belive any sata 6gbs drives are even fully functional yet. (somthing about platers not being able to ramp up to the speeds neccesary to achieve the 6gbs transfer rate) Im not 100% certain on this, since its bleeding edge junk lol

matata

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

Thank you Saint 19, the link you suggested gave detailed information of aspects of the spec. which I had only seen previously as simple statements.
I think I will choose the E rather than the LX as the price difference is only about £5 here in the UK
Many thanks also to the others who offered advice

matata

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Components for new build:-
CPU - i5 750
Case - Antec 300
RAM 4Gb Corsair DDR3 1600
CPU cooler - Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
PSU - Antec Earthwatts 650 W
Mobo Asus P7P55D-E
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB