Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trying to Overclock Intel Celeron E3400

Last response: in Overclocking
April 15, 2012 7:01:02 PM

I am trying to overclock this processor. I have a G31M-ES2L mobo and 4GB DDR2 ram thats at 400 DRAM frequency (from CPU-Z). I read this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1567/intel-overclocking-guid..., but I was confused on how the ram comes into play and this divider function and voltage seems important. I understood the increasing external clock speed part and then stress test for a while and look at temperatures, but I didn't know how the divider and voltage stuff come into play. Also the guide doesn't really say when to stop increasing. How can I figure out what is a stable overclock and what is not a stable overclock.

When I google searched this CPU I heard/saw youtube videos of people OCing to 3.7 ghz. All I have is the stock fan that came with the CPU.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
a b K Overclocking
April 16, 2012 3:17:31 AM

tinhajj said:
I am trying to overclock this processor. I have a G31M-ES2L mobo and 4GB DDR2 ram thats at 400 DRAM frequency (from CPU-Z). I read this guide http://www.overclock.net/t/1567/intel-overclocking-guid..., but I was confused on how the ram comes into play and this divider function and voltage seems important. I understood the increasing external clock speed part and then stress test for a while and look at temperatures, but I didn't know how the divider and voltage stuff come into play. Also the guide doesn't really say when to stop increasing. How can I figure out what is a stable overclock and what is not a stable overclock.

When I google searched this CPU I heard/saw youtube videos of people OCing to 3.7 ghz. All I have is the stock fan that came with the CPU.

Give this guide a try, I think it explains ram timings much better than the one you posted.

You should also plan on a better HSF for OC'n to keep temps under control.
m
l
April 16, 2012 5:01:28 AM

arthurh said:
Give this guide a try, I think it explains ram timings much better than the one you posted.

You should also plan on a better HSF for OC'n to keep temps under control.

I dont see any guide you posted or maybe I am misunderstanding you.

Also right now for temps I get around 35 Cel. And I figured maybe 60 or 70 Cel was safe temperature. Idk what safe would be but I'd be putting a lot of stress for maybe 8-10 hours at a time. I figure 60 Cel for a several hours can't be that bad but I'd love to be corrected to know. I also figured I dont need any kind of cooling just as long as the temperatures are within a safe value but I'd love to be corrected there too.

m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 16, 2012 1:02:10 PM

Quote:
I dont see any guide you posted or maybe I am misunderstanding you.

Sorry. LINK

Here is Intel spec sheet for that processor. LINK

Generally speaking when you ask a CPU to do more work than stock speed (OC'n) you will generate more heat than the stock HSF can remove. 60C is a great temp for that CPU but with a 74.1 ceiling I would not go over mid 60s for 24/7 operation.
m
l

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 16, 2012 2:58:10 PM

The link that arthurh provided is for our generic Core2 overclocking guide. It is very good for the basics, but because it is designed for an Asus motherboard, it will not help you much.

Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar. The G31 will have fewer adjustments.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00 (or 2.40 if you do not have 2.0 available). Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 200 MHz, your memory clock should be at 400 MHz (or 480 MHz).

That will seem low, but do not worry about it.

Now start increasing the FSB freq. With a stock cooler, you will reach thermal limits before you reach core voltage or core speed limits. Keep your load temps under 70 C.

a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 1:24:42 AM

Thanks jsc. :sol:  I did not know that.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 1:56:00 PM

Oh, yes. It is a great link for Core2 Gigabyte motherboards.
m
l
April 25, 2012 4:02:53 PM

Best answer selected by tinhajj.
m
l
May 20, 2012 11:31:09 PM

tinhajj said:

I have an e3400 and runs at 3.6ghz with no problems. Simply do the OC and is OK nothing more is needed, sure.My mobo is asrock and the asrock provide software to ocing to.The question is that more than 3.6ghz the oc dont works simply.
m
l
!