System jams up for seconds only

Tags:
  • Build
  • Windows XP
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
November 18, 2009 6:47:58 PM

Hi all, build a new system with XP o/s. It runs great most of the time but occasionally suddenly just freezes for about 5 seconds or so and then carries on fine. If I run music or sound, I hear a clicking noise when it is in freeze mode. Whatever the puter is doing at the time, just holds still untill the freeze stops and then the process carries on fine. Very odd!!! any ideas???? please, thanks

More about : system jams seconds

November 18, 2009 7:04:52 PM

specs pls
November 18, 2009 7:07:58 PM

Quote:
Hi all, build a new system with XP o/s. It runs great most of the time but occasionally suddenly just freezes for about 5 seconds or so and then carries on fine. If I run music or sound, I hear a clicking noise when it is in freeze mode. Whatever the puter is doing at the time, just holds still untill the freeze stops and then the process carries on fine. Very odd!!! any ideas???? please, thanks

A clicking noise sounds mechanical. Perhaps your hard drive has a problem, and what you hear is the retry mechanism. Try running the diagnostics from the drive manufacturer. If you can, look at the S.M.A.R.T. statistics if you have them.
Related resources
Anonymous
November 18, 2009 7:23:38 PM

geo felt thanks, to make myself clearer, when I say I hear a clicking noise, I mean through the speakers, not an actual clicking noise from the machine. When the speakers are off or when I dont play any sound, then I dont hear the noise. I'll investigate your suggestions however for now.
Anonymous
November 18, 2009 7:28:04 PM

ubernoobie, dont have specs with me at present location, will need to investigate and post later.
!