Does Windows XP Home recognize dual CPU's in P4's?

I have two homebuilt P4 machines each with their own copy
of Windows XP Pro. Both machines are running two
instances of Seti at Home (one on each cpu) using the -
cpu0 and -cpu1 switch. I have a P4 laptop with hyper
threading enabled and running Windows XP Home. When I try
to invoke the -cpu0 or -cpu1 switch, it comes back with
and error message like unknown command. Are these
switches not available on the home version or is there
something in the setup that needs to be activated to allow
this to work?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bert S.
5 answers Last reply
More about does windows home recognize dual

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:21:09 -0700, Bert Swartzwelder wrote:

    > Are these
    > switches not available on the home version

    As you suspected, XP home does not support dual processors.
    Comparison chart of XP Pro and XP Home:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Hyperthreading can't do everything dual processors can. It's probably more
    of that limitation than of Home, since Home does see the hyperthreaded
    processors just fine.

    "Bert Swartzwelder" <b.swartzwelder2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I have two homebuilt P4 machines each with their own copy
    > of Windows XP Pro. Both machines are running two
    > instances of Seti at Home (one on each cpu) using the -
    > cpu0 and -cpu1 switch. I have a P4 laptop with hyper
    > threading enabled and running Windows XP Home. When I try
    > to invoke the -cpu0 or -cpu1 switch, it comes back with
    > and error message like unknown command. Are these
    > switches not available on the home version or is there
    > something in the setup that needs to be activated to allow
    > this to work?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > Bert S.

    "You can extend or mirror dynamic volumes
    and add new dynamic disks without restarting the computer"
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hs_exploring_windows.mspx

    This, plus the fact that it shows the option under Disk Management makes
    me sure that you can. I just can find the condition that is holding things
    up.

    "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hyperthreading can't do everything dual processors can. It's probably more
    > of that limitation than of Home, since Home does see the hyperthreaded
    > processors just fine.
    >
    > "Bert Swartzwelder" <b.swartzwelder2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >I have two homebuilt P4 machines each with their own copy
    > > of Windows XP Pro. Both machines are running two
    > > instances of Seti at Home (one on each cpu) using the -
    > > cpu0 and -cpu1 switch. I have a P4 laptop with hyper
    > > threading enabled and running Windows XP Home. When I try
    > > to invoke the -cpu0 or -cpu1 switch, it comes back with
    > > and error message like unknown command. Are these
    > > switches not available on the home version or is there
    > > something in the setup that needs to be activated to allow
    > > this to work?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > > Bert S.

    What does mirroring volumes have to do with hyperthreading?

    "spinlock" <NullVoid@att.net> wrote in message
    > "You can extend or mirror dynamic volumes
    > and add new dynamic disks without restarting the computer"
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hs_exploring_windows.mspx
    >
    > This, plus the fact that it shows the option under Disk Management makes
    > me sure that you can. I just can find the condition that is holding things
    > up.
    >

    > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hyperthreading can't do everything dual processors can. It's probably
    >> more
    >> of that limitation than of Home, since Home does see the hyperthreaded
    >> processors just fine.
    >>
    >> "Bert Swartzwelder" <b.swartzwelder2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> >I have two homebuilt P4 machines each with their own copy
    >> > of Windows XP Pro. Both machines are running two
    >> > instances of Seti at Home (one on each cpu) using the -
    >> > cpu0 and -cpu1 switch. I have a P4 laptop with hyper
    >> > threading enabled and running Windows XP Home. When I try
    >> > to invoke the -cpu0 or -cpu1 switch, it comes back with
    >> > and error message like unknown command. Are these
    >> > switches not available on the home version or is there
    >> > something in the setup that needs to be activated to allow
    >> > this to work?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >> > Bert S.

    I was wondering the same thing - maybe it was one of those "Twilight Zone"
    happenings or something.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

    > What does mirroring volumes have to do with hyperthreading?
    >

    > "spinlock" <NullVoid@att.net> wrote in message
    >> "You can extend or mirror dynamic volumes
    >> and add new dynamic disks without restarting the computer"
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hs_exploring_windows.mspx
    >>
    >> This, plus the fact that it shows the option under Disk Management makes
    >> me sure that you can. I just can find the condition that is holding
    >> things
    >> up.
    >>

    >> "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hyperthreading can't do everything dual processors can. It's probably
    >>> more
    >>> of that limitation than of Home, since Home does see the hyperthreaded
    >>> processors just fine.
    >>>
    >>> "Bert Swartzwelder" <b.swartzwelder2@verizon.net> wrote in message

Configuration CPUs Windows XP