Does Windows XP Home recognize dual CPU's in P4's?

I have two homebuilt P4 machines each with their own copy
of Windows XP Pro. Both machines are running two
instances of Seti at Home (one on each cpu) using the -
cpu0 and -cpu1 switch. I have a P4 laptop with hyper
threading enabled and running Windows XP Home. When I try
to invoke the -cpu0 or -cpu1 switch, it comes back with
and error message like unknown command. Are these
switches not available on the home version or is there
something in the setup that needs to be activated to allow
this to work?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bert S.

Hyperthreading can't do everything dual processors can. It's probably more
of that limitation than of Home, since Home does see the hyperthreaded
processors just fine.

"Bert Swartzwelder" <b.swartzwelder2@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have two homebuilt P4 machines each with their own copy
> of Windows XP Pro. Both machines are running two
> instances of Seti at Home (one on each cpu) using the -
> cpu0 and -cpu1 switch. I have a P4 laptop with hyper
> threading enabled and running Windows XP Home. When I try
> to invoke the -cpu0 or -cpu1 switch, it comes back with
> and error message like unknown command. Are these
> switches not available on the home version or is there
> something in the setup that needs to be activated to allow
> this to work?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> Bert S.

"You can extend or mirror dynamic volumes
and add new dynamic disks without restarting the computer"
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hs_exploring_windows.mspx

This, plus the fact that it shows the option under Disk Management makes
me sure that you can. I just can find the condition that is holding things
up.

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hyperthreading can't do everything dual processors can. It's probably more
> of that limitation than of Home, since Home does see the hyperthreaded
> processors just fine.
>
> "Bert Swartzwelder" <b.swartzwelder2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >I have two homebuilt P4 machines each with their own copy
> > of Windows XP Pro. Both machines are running two
> > instances of Seti at Home (one on each cpu) using the -
> > cpu0 and -cpu1 switch. I have a P4 laptop with hyper
> > threading enabled and running Windows XP Home. When I try
> > to invoke the -cpu0 or -cpu1 switch, it comes back with
> > and error message like unknown command. Are these
> > switches not available on the home version or is there
> > something in the setup that needs to be activated to allow
> > this to work?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> > Bert S.

What does mirroring volumes have to do with hyperthreading?

"spinlock" <NullVoid@att.net> wrote in message
> "You can extend or mirror dynamic volumes
> and add new dynamic disks without restarting the computer"
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hs_exploring_windows.mspx
>
> This, plus the fact that it shows the option under Disk Management makes
> me sure that you can. I just can find the condition that is holding things
> up.
>

> "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hyperthreading can't do everything dual processors can. It's probably
>> more
>> of that limitation than of Home, since Home does see the hyperthreaded
>> processors just fine.
>>
>> "Bert Swartzwelder" <b.swartzwelder2@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> >I have two homebuilt P4 machines each with their own copy
>> > of Windows XP Pro. Both machines are running two
>> > instances of Seti at Home (one on each cpu) using the -
>> > cpu0 and -cpu1 switch. I have a P4 laptop with hyper
>> > threading enabled and running Windows XP Home. When I try
>> > to invoke the -cpu0 or -cpu1 switch, it comes back with
>> > and error message like unknown command. Are these
>> > switches not available on the home version or is there
>> > something in the setup that needs to be activated to allow
>> > this to work?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any help.
>> > Bert S.

I was wondering the same thing - maybe it was one of those "Twilight Zone"
happenings or something.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service