Kamikazi5983

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
hey guys,
i got a dell 630i with dual 9800gt that work great but after two years i think its time to upgrade. i want to make sure the upgrade goes smoothly and want to make sure my psu is up to speed for a dual msi gtx 295 with sli. i have a stock psu of 750w with 4, 12v rails at 18a per rail and i dont really know how to figure out if it can handle the new gpus. any help is greatly appreciated.

Not to familiar with them myself, put my first one together this weekend.
I just wouldn't upgrade to another socket 775 chip at this point.
An I7-860, Asus P7P55D Deluxe, and 4 gigs of OCZ ram is $507 for walk in purchases at Microcenter and then there's $55 worth of rebates, it's what I'm playing with now.

The cpu socket.
No, the I7's wouldn't fit on your board, they're socket 1366 ( I7-9xx ) and 1156 ( I5's and I7's )

Your Dell is fully upgradeable, so another ATX motherboard would line up in the case without a problem.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Is your motherboard crossfire capable? - because if it is you would be happier upgrading to high end AMD gpus instead of GTX 295s.

The AMD 5xxx series is newer technology that will run cooler and have DX 11...

You realize you could build an entirely new system for the $1000 cost of dual GTX 295s right?

Kamikazi5983

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i would go with amd because i know they are cheaper and more powerfull. however first i dont know if they are compatible with my motherboard. second i have heard many issues with software from amd. third is many games are made speciffically for use with nvidia cards. i saw this great article on how nvidia is better and why it is wise to use nvidia. if i can find it ill post it.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Interesting, although I think its the benchmarked performance that matters more than a reviewers opinion.

You might be well served by waiting a month or so for the inevitable price drop on these cards when the new Nvidia GTX 4xx line is released.