Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with first water cooling rig. NZXT switch 810

Last response: in Overclocking
April 15, 2012 9:02:05 PM

First off I have watched dozens of videos, how-to's, tips-and-tricks etc. and from all that I gathered that water cooling is definitely a case by case basis. So now I come here for help. Ill Start with my specs.

Case: cooler master 430 elite but will be NZXT Switch 810
MOBO: asus sabertooth p67
RAM: 12 GB 1866 ddr3 patriot (2x 2gb and 2x 4gb)
CPU: Intel i7 @3.4. (was OC until my temps were too high)
GPU: ASUS gtx560ti @ GPUcore 900mhz, GPU clock 2100mhz, GPU shader 1800mhz
PSU: 900w antec

Now I guess what I need to do is just ask questions.
1) I will eventually have the entire rig liquid cooled would it be logical to have the CPU and RAM on one loop and have the GPU (which will eventually be sli) on another loop?
2) What would be an ample 2x120 or 2x140 rad for the CPU and RAM loop which is what i will do first?
3) Has anyone water cooled the asus 560ti? from what Ive seen its not supported but i want to know if someone made it work.
4) when i get to setting up the 2 loops (gpu and cpu+ram) will i need 2 pumps to keep the loops isolated or would a T fitting be ok?
5) What is a good rad FPI to shoot for just to water cool the i7 and 4 Ram cards?

Thanks in advance im sure ill think of more questions as soon as i post. lol
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2012 10:18:48 PM

tougas said:
First off I have watched dozens of videos, how-to's, tips-and-tricks etc. and from all that I gathered that water cooling is definitely a case by case basis. So now I come here for help. Ill Start with my specs.

Case: cooler master 430 elite but will be NZXT Switch 810
MOBO: asus sabertooth p67
RAM: 12 GB 1866 ddr3 patriot (2x 2gb and 2x 4gb)
CPU: Intel i7 @3.4. (was OC until my temps were too high)
GPU: ASUS gtx560ti @ GPUcore 900mhz, GPU clock 2100mhz, GPU shader 1800mhz
PSU: 900w antec

Now I guess what I need to do is just ask questions.
1) I will eventually have the entire rig liquid cooled would it be logical to have the CPU and RAM on one loop and have the GPU (which will eventually be sli) on another loop?
2) What would be an ample 2x120 or 2x140 rad for the CPU and RAM loop which is what i will do first?
3) Has anyone water cooled the asus 560ti? from what Ive seen its not supported but i want to know if someone made it work.
4) when i get to setting up the 2 loops (gpu and cpu+ram) will i need 2 pumps to keep the loops isolated or would a T fitting be ok?
5) What is a good rad FPI to shoot for just to water cool the i7 and 4 Ram cards?

Thanks in advance im sure ill think of more questions as soon as i post. lol

I isolate my components by putting a rad in between each of them
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 16, 2012 4:58:18 AM

Quote:

While it seems counter-intuitive, you'll get better cooling with one loop and multiple rads. All the rads will contribute to cooling all of the components more effectively than in separate loops.

Cooling the RAM with water makes no sense, since DDR3 uses so little voltage and generates almost no heat. That's why there are plenty of kits out there that don't even have heat spreaders.

Quote:

I have a 560Ti (and formerly an i5-2500K in the loop as well) and temps don't go over 38C on a hot day. As you can see in my sig I have a 360 and 120 rad (so ~480mm of rad space). On a cold day, I hit about 30C :) 

For the Asus you'll need a universal waterblock since full cover blocks can't usually fit on custom PCBs. I'm also running a universal block and it works about as well as my full cover block did on my 6950s. No worries there :) 

Quote:

FPI really affect what fans you choose, since it causes airflow restriction.

If you want quieter fans, you'll need a lower FPI count (~8-10/inch). You need really strong fans to use some of the high count fans (~30 FPI), but that creates a lot of noise. Obviously faster fans on a low FPI rad will still be better than slow fans on the same rad since there's more air flowing through.
Related resources
April 17, 2012 12:52:03 AM

Thanks for all that info. I kinda want to cool the ram just because i can lol. So if i did do you think i should have a single rad for the CPU then the out of the rad would go to the ram then up to another single rad before looping back?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 1:24:30 AM

It doesn't matter where you put your components since eventually everything will be operating at steady state (~30-60 minutes of runtime). Usually space constraints dictate the most efficient loop order.

Can you even find RAMblocks these days, and are they cheap?
m
l
April 17, 2012 1:34:02 AM

boiler1990 said:
It doesn't matter where you put your components since eventually everything will be operating at steady state (~30-60 minutes of runtime). Usually space constraints dictate the most efficient loop order.

Can you even find RAMblocks these days, and are they cheap?

Ive seen some for about 30 as a block for 4 DIMMS and also saw 6 DIMM ones and singles. price goes up for 6 and solo is i want to say ~20
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 1:41:40 AM

Hm, not bad. You should do some research into how much the RAM blocks will restrict the flow - you're not getting any temp benefit (temps might actually go up, technically) and it adds another restriction to the loop.

That might affect what pump you need to use in the end.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 1:43:34 AM

I use that configuration to give myself more time before it does get to hot to run, if you have enough rads for your system, order of parts won't matter. but to answer your question, I try to put the order from lest restrictive to most restrictive, that means (EX: most ram coolers have small ports like 1/4 in OD) that it would be the last thing in my loop. along with the HHD coolers and mosfets coolers on the mother board all of these have 1/4 in OD barbs on my setup. but the rest of the system has 1/2 in OD compression fittings, and that how I do it.
m
l
a c 328 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 2:29:35 AM

Boiler makes some great points about the added restriction and the possible increase of temps with little to no benefit.
m
l
April 18, 2012 11:13:39 PM

Best answer selected by tougas.
m
l
!