Need advice on installing new CPU (Athlon II X2 240)

radeon1010

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
I was wondering if I should put Arctic Silver 5 on this new CPU or use the standard AMD thermal paste on the included heatsink?

If it would be better to put AS5 then what's a good way to clean the pre-applied thermal paste off of the heatsink?

Im only asking this because i tried to change the thermal paste in my old comp(6 years+ old) to cool it down and i didnt succeed(temps actually increased but i had scratched the heatsink so i guessed that was the problem or i had put too much thermal paste).

Thanks for your help.

Solution
I don't recommend it. Just install the thermal pad on the heatsink, and leave it alone. If you're not overclocking, save the thermal paste for later. People are too obsessed about temps; these cpus run fine up to 65 celcius. If your running higher, check your software; I use coretemp for my board.
I don't recommend it. Just install the thermal pad on the heatsink, and leave it alone. If you're not overclocking, save the thermal paste for later. People are too obsessed about temps; these cpus run fine up to 65 celcius. If your running higher, check your software; I use coretemp for my board.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS