carpenter20m

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
That's my record with my 4850.

And when I game, I manually set the fan to 70% beforehand. And when the 107 comes I can hear the fan going to 100%.

Surprisingly, the fan does not increase speed until after 106-107 degrees, while I would expect it sooner...which means that I am still in (relatively) safe temperatures.

Anyway, when I hear the fan, I Alt+Tab out of the game, leave it on 100% until it goes under 85 degrees and then I resume gaming. It's kind of frustrating, but still fun.

Surprisingly again, the overheating happens when not a whole lot is happening in the game. I guess that's because that's when my cpu isn't bottlenecking it much (I have a Core2Duo 6400 overclocked at 2.56), so it's just goes all the way and gives me lots of frames.

Should I be worried? I mean, it's like that for months now (I even made a few topics here when I first bought it) and other than the noise and the alt+tabbing I've had no problems. Plus, it's still under warranty.

Airflow in my case should be good. I have my one intake fan exactly where the card is (there's one exhaust fan as well at the back). What else can I do?

PS: Fun fact. During the hot Greek summer I was cooling it down by placing a bottle full of ice right outside the fan, so that cooler air can go inside...the ice was completely melted in a couple of hours...

How hot is the inside of your case getting, you may not have sufficient ventilation? You have one of the ones that exhausts the heat out of the case? What brand is this 4850, 107 is dangerously hot for a GPU, hell i cant even get my 4850 to clear 65 when stressing it out with furmark.

The reason the ice was melted at the end of a couple hours is because the air leaves through the back of the case it does not draw it in so it was blowing 100 degree air onto the ice which wont help cool it down at all.

jennyh

Splendid
Sure Greece is like an inferno during summer...but your temps are way beyond what they should be still.

Do you have a front intake fan? My case has a front intake, side intake and two exhaust fans. I'm in Scotland which isn't quite Greek in terms of temperatures (it gets a bit humid though), but I can still see my temps getting a bit too high when its warm here.

You can never have too much cooling really. I try to balance it with noise, in a very hot country like Greece in the summer, you might have to suffer a real noise just to keep things cooler.

carpenter20m

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Hunter315, the bottle of ice was outside the intake fan, not the exhaust one. And yet the ice still disappeared...

Jennyh, I don't have a front intake fan, unfortunately...maybe I should consider one, but the way my case is compartmentalized, I don't think it would make too much of a difference.

And Scotland? Please...I've lived there for a year (University of Edinburgh ftw) and you were calling it a heat wave when it reached 26 degrees...That's May's temperatures for us...

Heat wave, try having your ac kick the bucket when it gets up to 35c in the room with the windows open. I lost weight that month.

Gintok

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I'm of the opinion that those temps are very high for the GPU/card. Perhaps you might want to consider checking the cooling solution is correctly applied along with sufficient amounts of thermal compound.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Er not having an AC is probably the problem :whistle:

carpenter20m

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Probably not, because this problem appears in the winter as well. I just don't game as much in the summer, because I'm afraid I am going to break it.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I used to have really bad heat issues with my 4850 as well...what i ended up doing was taking off the stock cooler, reapplying thermal paste, and unclogging all the dust i had in the cooler (which was A LOT of dust...make sure to get EVERYTHING!) after that, my problem was solved...

carpenter20m

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I should probably do something like that the problem is that I am not comfortable with handling such stuff...I know the theory behind building a computer and whatnot, but since the shops in Greece let you choose the parts you want and then assemble it for free, then there's no reason for me to do it myself. Hence, I have no actual experience. Maybe I should just take it to the shop and have them install an after-market cooler.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
If you don't care about a loud fan using a slot cooler/spot cooler under your gpu should easily bring it down 10c,which would not really be much more acceptable, if not more moving static air out from under your gpu.

This assumes you have a card that vents out of the case which not all 4850's are

Or removing your side panel if it's because your case is doing a poor job venting out hot air and ambient temps are to blame.

I'm using HIS HD 4850 512 Mb IceQ 4, the temps are 60'C when idle and 67+'C when gaming (the fan speed stay at 35%)...
I'm in Indonesia(equator area), it's hot here.

with that temp u can cook an egg... :)

re-applying the thermal paste maybe can help u...

spider83

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I don't have AC either, and in the summer my place (top floor) gets over 100 degrees F inside. What I end up doing is taking off the side cover on the case, and letting a floorstanding box fan blow directly inside on highest speed. Seems to keep my box from overheating, though I'm still over 80C sometimes. Saw a thing somewhere where a guy literally used his plumbing to route water through his water cool setup. Water was pumping through at cool tap temps all day long, he never had an issue with heat.

carpenter20m

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Thanks for the advice, but I was told earlier today that doing anything on the card (using an after market cooler, resitting the old one) would void the warranty. They told me to bring it in, but unless they play games on it, they won't see it.

Ah, who knows. I still got 2 years of warranty on it so I might as well kill it by playing.