I need help finding a dual core Mobo/cpu combo

purple buzz

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
long story short. my old mobo has bad capacitors. i thought about ordering new ones, and soldering them off/on but 1) no one has this model in my city (LA), and 2) even if i get them thats $4 each and i need 5. that's not to mention soldering equipment and if things go wrong, etc.. too much money, time, and energy into something that is so old. here is a pic. I could only run my computer at 1500+ without it ever freezing. I could NEVER run it at its full cpu or it freezes, even when I run at say 2100+ it has a big chance of freezing.

img0847a.jpg

so I am looking for a dual core motherboard and cpu combo on ebay now. I also was thinking of checking out pricewatch. can anybody help me?

I use my pc for playing either WoW or e-mail, and other browsing the web stuff. So I'll need a video card as well. is mobo with 2 RAM slots enough for WoW? I want at least 3ghz in speed so I could take full potential of WoW's graphics. Please help me out with some recommendations. I would really appreciate it. I don't know much about computers past mine and I built it back in 2003. I am willing to spend $200 and $300 max on all the components (mobo, cpu, RAM, video card). and I need mobo that my 400W PSU could support.

my spec:

ASUSTek Computer INC Mobo (A7N8X Deluxe)
AMD Athlon XP: Thoroughbred, Socket A 2700+
2 gig of RAM (Corsair)
GeForce 7600GS 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
PLANET WL-8310 Wireless Card
200G Seagate (Master)
500GB Wester Digitital SATA
LG DVD Writer
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W
WinFast TV2000 XP Expert WDM TVTuner
4 Fans - 3 regular, 1 92mm

ianxponent

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
What a coincidence. I just upgraded my system to a quad core AMD and my old MB/CPU combo sounds like what you're after: Core2Duo E6400 on a Foxconn 975x7ab MB (http://tinyurl.com/2amxc5l) with 2 GB corsair (CM2X1024-5400C4) memory. The Foxconn is a really nice MB and I paid quite a bit for it in 2007. It's an ATX not micro. I just took it out of my system last night and almost put it back in since I've had problems with my new system already (bad memory stick.) Anyway, I haven't taken the CPU off the MB - it's still there with original Intel heatsink/cooler and was working great yesterday when I removed it. I was thinking of putting it on eBay but maybe you'd be interested. All you'd need is a video card since the foxconn has no onboard video. The whole kit and kaboodle would certainly be in your price range even if you got a pretty powerful video card.

ianxponent

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Hmmm, I didn't notice any stability problems in 3 years but then I wasn't overclocking either. The only thing I did was upgrade the BIOS so XP could see more than 2 GB memory. Anyway, good luck in your search.