Intermittent memory problems - requires full powerdown.

u_u

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Intermittent memory problems – is it the memory controller or the memory itself?

It has taken me quite some time to get to reproducible steps but I finally found them. Let me get straight to the core of the problem – I will give system details below.

I am running 8GB (4 x 2GB) of G.Skill DDR3 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ) on a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P.
The system runs stable for about a day or two – then memory problems. They first pop up in apps (Firefox seems particularly susceptible) and if I keep going for long enough I get BSOD’s.
As soon as the memory problems start I run Memtest86+ and get massive amounts of errors right away. No matter how often I reboot – I get memory errors immediately. It almost seems as if every single memtest step fails.
When I power the entire system off (literally switch off at the power supply) that seems to reset the memory. After that the system runs stable. I can run memtest for hours without a single error. Until, after a day or so, it starts failing again and the only way to recover is to power off the system.

Since my Newegg invoice is dated 2 months ago I cannot RMA anything so I have to go for warranty replacement. But before I do this I thought I ask the experts in this forum.

Details:
Memory is certified for the mobo
I am running the memory at mobo defaults: 1.5V and 1333, 9-9-9-24 (I did try 1.6V and 1600 as well – but went back to mobo defaults to troubleshoot the problem)
Memory temps are between 30C and 37C

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P Rev1 – running the almost the latest bios (G9)
CPU: i7-8600 Lynnfield 2.8GHz
RAM: 4 x 2GB G.Skill DDR3 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
Graphics: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VXL Radeon HD 5770 1GB
HD1: 2 x OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II SSD’s in RAID 0
HD2: Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB

bilbat

Splendid
When using two DIMMs per channel, manual adjustments are always required...

Make sure your memory is running a '2T' command rate...
'Bump up' tRFC about 10-15%...
Vdimm for those modules is 'wide', work up to 1.8V; probably will need 1.64-1.66 to accomodate two DIMMs/channel...
Make sure difference between Vdimm and QPI/Vtt is below .5V, by raising QPI...

How do you find the Vertexes in RAID0? What king of OS load time are you getting?[:bohleyk:3]

u_u

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Thanks for this bilbat. I have come accross something similar in other forums. But this is very detailed and helpful.

The G.Skill techs want me to test the two pairs in isolation first to see if there is a bad memory module that needs returning. [:huntluck] If they check out clear i will be sure to follow your recommendations. Will keep you posted.

Re Vertex in RAID0 - one of my better investments. Win7 64 from post to logon screen is still about 20sec. But apps launch almost instantly. Once I get the memory issues resolved I will write up a review on Newegg.