Sign in with
Your question

Systems hangs on os install and throws a beep code on every reset.

Last response: in Motherboards
May 24, 2010 5:01:53 AM

okay i have the gigabyte 880gm-ud2h mobo with a amd phenom x6 1055t
with 4 gigs 2x2 corsair dominator ddr3 10333 ram. The current bios settings are correctly set for the current correctly.
I am not sure what' wrong with this thing. i am going to call gigabyte tomorrow I was hoping to find some answers here.
Everytime I use the reset switch and the comp resets I get to four long beeps post error. I don't know what it means I can't find anything at gigabytes site.
anyway when I shut down the thing and turn it back on it posts fine. It loads the system files and begins the installation process for the win 7 pro x64.
I see the starting windows screen. Then the background changes and a gui begins to load then nothing happens at all. The system just hangs.
when i hit the reset button I get the beeps again. I have tried all the diff memmory configs I can try nothing seems to work.
I did see a bio update and I think it could be that the bio update is required for this processor but If i could just get some other minds on this it would help.
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2010 5:05:38 AM

You're not the first with this problem. Chances are that your motherboard shipped with the F4 BIOS and needs to be updated to the F5 revision that supports the new X6 CPUs. Check out the motherboard manufacturer's site for the new BIOS and read your mobo's manual on how to update it.
m
l
May 24, 2010 5:12:10 AM

obsolete99 said:
You're not the first with this problem. Chances are that your motherboard shipped with the F4 BIOS and needs to be updated to the F5 revision that supports the new X6 CPUs. Check out the motherboard manufacturer's site for the new BIOS and read your mobo's manual on how to update it.

I thought that was the problem. I'll be updating tomorrow I left my usb drive at work so I can't flash tonight. I will be flashing the bio tomorrow. I will see if the flash works. I thought i had read where the newest bio update was already installed

m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 24, 2010 4:14:02 PM

Quote:
I thought i had read where the newest bio update was already installed

The newest BIOS update is always installed, but, it's the latest BIOS at the time of manufacture... Board makers can't read minds at Intel or AMD; pretty hard to have a BIOS updated for chips that don't yet exist! It gets made, BIOS flashed, 'backup' BIOS installed, ships to a wholesaler, sits there for 'x' time, goes to a retailer, sits there for 'y' time, takes a week to ship to you - by then, Moore's law and 'antsy' marketers pretty much guarantee it's somehow obsolete [:lectrocrew:7]
m
l
!