ATI 5xxx Bitstreaming is here

kjoy064

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Cyberlink have released their new version to buy now that allows bitstreaming with the 5 series cards. This is open to new purchases until Friday when the patch is released.

Trust me it works!

G

Very good question here that I cant actually answer lol maybe som1 else? Maybe the game has to integrate the AMD bitstream driver too?

^^ Nope, as you would need to wrap the game audio through the software (ain't happening).

For games, you can just use the ATI HDMI to output raw, uncompressed PCM audio instead of relying on compressed formats. No need to convert to TrueHD and the like...

festerovic

Distinguished
So, gamerk316, I can use bitstreaming to output 5.1/7.1 for games as long as it's in PCM mode? Will games use this? My previous attempts at getting multi channel audio over a SPDIF(coax or optical) have always resulted in 2 channel audio at the receiver. Is there a way to use HDMI to do the equivalent of me having to run 3 or 4 analog connectors out to a receiver with a Multi channel analog input?

Sorry this is off topic somewhat, however, I'm sure people are thinking the same thing-> what does this do for me?

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
This only helps if you have a receiver that can decode the 7.1 formats and your computer can't decode them. And you have 7.1 source material.

I think it's just a matter of time until it will be standard for PCs to decode the formats. I mean, after all, what better tool than a PC to do this?

SPDIF's main problem is it was designed to carry 2 audio channels; it doesn't have the bandwith to carry 6 channel audio. As Dolby Digital/DTS are compressed formats, they CAN be transmitted over SPDIF, giving 5.1 audio. (Two techs, Dolby Digital Live and DTS-Connect exist for this purpose; to get 5.1 audio to fit over SPDIF). The obvious downside is the need for a decoder module at the other end however...(as 5.1 can't fit over the connection, decoding on the PC defeats the purpose)

Current ATI cards, by default, carry up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio over its HDMI connection. As such, any sort of dolby/DTS tech is unneeded to get 5.1/7.1. What Cyberlink has done is allow for the compressed Dolby/DTS signals to be carried over the HDMI connection, so a digital reciever, instead of the program, handles the audio decoding (taking some stress off the CPU in the process).

As most PC users use analog speakers, this generally isn't an issue. Any Dolby/DTS format is generally decoded by whatever program is playing the source material, and then treated as a normal PCM signal. The ability to offload the work to a reciever is useful for some people though...