Cant turn pump on

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Fan
  • Fan Controller
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 17, 2012 6:15:46 AM

I bought 4 Laing DDC-1t pumps which are oem, according seller these pumps with black molex can be turned on without rewiring either from motherboard, fan controller or fan adapter(see picture).

I did connect the fan adapter to the pump then to PSU and try it on for 1 seconds and nothing happens?

I compared the wiring on my other pumps and added to the picture seems to be the same, 4, 3 ,2 ,1 on molex and 1, 2, 3 ,4 on Pump as I have marked on picture, also the molex is black.

More about : turn pump

a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 6:39:31 AM

so in this case your 3 pin wire was pluged in from 4 space 3 on the molex right?
April 17, 2012 6:54:34 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
so in this case your 3 pin wire was pluged in from 4 space 3 on the molex right?

No I connected without modifying so the red wire to "2" and black wire to "1", I was under impression no modification was needed.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 7:02:44 AM

you need a yellow and a black from your power supplies Molex connector. that's the two pins with are red and black on the small connector. the red needs to go into the 4 position on the pump connector, that's positive from what you have shown. the black needs to go into either 3 or 2, if it is only for a sec to see if the pump turns on this will not hurt it to try them both, first in position 3 since no medication is necessary to do this, execpt a jumper from the black to the empty pin, any pice of small wire will do. if it does not turn on, than try 2 on the pump connector, you can cut the plastic housing with a pair of wire cutters to split the pins apart for this test. then build another pin holder, I left a link in the other thread for parts on how to build a custom pin connector for your pump. once we figure out how to turn it on, I could show you how to connect it to the mother board, in order to make use of its other features.
April 17, 2012 10:19:39 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
you need a yellow and a black from your power supplies Molex connector. that's the two pins with are red and black on the small connector. the red needs to go into the 4 position on the pump connector, that's positive from what you have shown. the black needs to go into either 3 or 2, if it is only for a sec to see if the pump turns on this will not hurt it to try them both, first in position 3 since no medication is necessary to do this, execpt a jumper from the black to the empty pin, any pice of small wire will do. if it does not turn on, than try 2 on the pump connector, you can cut the plastic housing with a pair of wire cutters to split the pins apart for this test. then build another pin holder, I left a link in the other thread for parts on how to build a custom pin connector for your pump. once we figure out how to turn it on, I could show you how to connect it to the mother board, in order to make use of its other features.

Thank you for being helpful, much appreciated.

Looking at the martinm pictures it would be the 4 for + power and 2 for - ground.

However the seller bmaverick told me I would fry the pump if I followed the martinm pictures so I guess it could be different PCB maybe on my pump?!

Because the new ddc-1t with black molex are plug and play.

I was told it was no modification needed to install to motherboard, fan controller or fan adapter.

Now considering fan controllers only have red and black wire it suggests that it is the two wires next to each other to the right that are + and -, but this did not work when I tried pump for 1 second.

I think it comes down to these options:

Option 1: Just like bmaverick says it is plug and play suggesting the wires next to each other are + and -(as my picture), I did however test with a fan adapter and nothing happens.

Option 2: As in picture if it's same PCB layout on pump as with martinm it would mean rewiring as left wire is red and the 2nd from right is black.

Option 3: Neither of these above it's some other combination

a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 10:44:44 AM

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1188994/laing-ddc-1t-pump-wi...
the first is for when you're ready to connect it to the motherboard the second gives a look at both new and old setups I thank it is the new set up so your power would go to the 4 on your pic and the ground would go to 2 so red to 4 black to 2 . that is what I am thanking I have never owned one of these pumps but I am a electronics design engineer so this should be simple. let's hope for the best go ahead and try it out and let me know.
April 17, 2012 1:16:35 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1188994/laing-ddc-1t-pump-wi...
the first is for when you're ready to connect it to the motherboard the second gives a look at both new and old setups I thank it is the new set up so your power would go to the 4 on your pic and the ground would go to 2 so red to 4 black to 2 . that is what I am thanking I have never owned one of these pumps but I am a electronics design engineer so this should be simple. let's hope for the best go ahead and try it out and let me know.

thank you toolmaker_03

well the seller told me 1 or 2 days ago that this is truly plug and play to motherboard, meaning that 1 is black and 2 is red but with my fan scythe fan adapter I was not able to turn it on the pump.

I think I'll wait for a while to see if seller gives me a answer, eventually I'll have to try re-wire it.

The fan adapter I have is similar to this, the yellow wire goes nowhere.

April 18, 2012 12:24:43 PM

I'm being supported by the seller but seems like it is not correct + and -.

Is it safe to test the different pins combination on the molex for 1 second to see which is + and which is -?

On this picture the 2 bottom pictures are how my pumps are aligned, the top left shows the instructions seller gave me, but this does not work.
I also looked at the martin PCB image and tried for 1 second red wire in "4" and black wire in "2" but that aswell did not help me.

According seller instructions the 4 is Ground - and 3 is Power + but that did not work either.

Maybe buy this and test out?
http://www.harald-nyborg.se/p2424/digital-multimeter
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 1:07:09 PM

no
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 1:31:06 PM

I know the answer PWM is necessary to turn on the pump without it the power can't make it to the pump through the 3 and 4 pins so you half to have the PWM wire go to that control pin on the motherboard. I am willing to bet on this and I am not a betting man

so hook it up the way thay told you and look at with wire is the PWM on the pump and with pin on the 4 pin fan header on your mother board is the PWM control pin and connect them. than when you power the mother board the pump should turn on full power only do this for a sec. than turn off the power supply
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 1:42:37 PM

do you still have the stock fan for your processor and does it have a 4 pin fan connection on it if so cut the wire and connector of the fan and connect it to the mother board now you have a connector in your board with 4 wires hanging off it you only need the one wire for PWM control strip the end a little and stick it in the pump connector where it goes
April 19, 2012 6:55:59 AM

I can do this, but the seller show me a image of a fan adapter with only red + black wire.

Are you 100% sure I also need the PWM, in that case the seller is giving me wrong information.
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2012 11:32:09 AM

yes the seller is lying your pump operates on a H bridge without a signal controlling the transistors no power can flow to the motor
April 19, 2012 12:54:44 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
yes the seller is lying your pump operates on a H bridge without a signal controlling the transistors no power can flow to the motor

I got the pump working, seller instructions were correct, the pump works with just the Black and Red wire (3 and 4).
The problem for me was that the wires I used originaly were thin and did not make good contact with pump molex.

Now finaly I used a thin screwdriver and removed the wires in pump molex according seller instructions and re arranged them and now pump works finally.

But it was frustrating because seller told originaly I could directly install it to 3 pin but instead I had to spend 4-5days figuring it out and spending good amount of time on this.
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2012 1:45:42 PM

well good then it's not a H bridge it utilizes a ground coupling system to adjust the speed

!