Hard Drive Question

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 21, 2004 8:47:37 PM

I am looking at a new Dell Inspiron XPS laptop. It has hard drive
options of:

- 60GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
- 60GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache (11MS Seek)
- 80GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
- 100GB 4200RPM 8MB Cache (12MS Seek)

It comes with the first one of course. Both the upgrade to the 60GB
7200 and the 80GB 4200 are $99. You will notice that the 100GB is
4200RPM however has 8MB Cache. Question, what is better, more cache
or higher RPM's? Obviously the 60GB second one has both, however is a
lower size. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

JR

More about : hard drive question

June 21, 2004 9:05:53 PM

I always perfer two smaller hard drives to one large one. I would go
for the higher RPM.

hawk

John wrote:

> I am looking at a new Dell Inspiron XPS laptop. It has hard drive
> options of:
>
> - 60GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> - 60GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache (11MS Seek)
> - 80GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> - 100GB 4200RPM 8MB Cache (12MS Seek)
>
> It comes with the first one of course. Both the upgrade to the 60GB
> 7200 and the 80GB 4200 are $99. You will notice that the 100GB is
> 4200RPM however has 8MB Cache. Question, what is better, more cache
> or higher RPM's? Obviously the 60GB second one has both, however is a
> lower size. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> JR
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 12:08:00 AM

"John" <jriker1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I am looking at a new Dell Inspiron XPS laptop. It has hard drive
| options of:
|
| - 60GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
| - 60GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache (11MS Seek)
| - 80GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
| - 100GB 4200RPM 8MB Cache (12MS Seek)
|
| It comes with the first one of course. Both the upgrade to the 60GB
| 7200 and the 80GB 4200 are $99. You will notice that the 100GB is
| 4200RPM however has 8MB Cache. Question, what is better, more cache
| or higher RPM's? Obviously the 60GB second one has both, however is a
| lower size. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

The 7200RPM notebook drives are WAY WAY faster than the 4200RPM drives. As
soon as I can afford it, my 4200RPM 80GB drive is coming out of my A64 to be
replaced by a 7200RPM 60GB drive. The difference in speed is well worth the
sacrifice of 20GB if "internal" HD space. I will be taking the wimpy 4200RPM
80GB drive and putting it into an enclosure and making it an external drive.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 6:20:51 AM

"John" <jriker1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am looking at a new Dell Inspiron XPS laptop. It has hard drive
> options of:
>
> - 60GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> - 60GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache (11MS Seek)
> - 80GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> - 100GB 4200RPM 8MB Cache (12MS Seek)
>
> It comes with the first one of course. Both the upgrade to the 60GB
> 7200 and the 80GB 4200 are $99. You will notice that the 100GB is
> 4200RPM however has 8MB Cache. Question, what is better, more cache
> or higher RPM's? Obviously the 60GB second one has both, however is a
> lower size. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I would order it with the smallest cheapest
drive, and replace it myself with a Toshiba
MK-5024GAY -- it has a 16MB cache and spins
at 7200rpm. It is available for $199 from
several online sources and it is very quiet.

Oh, I forgot to mention -- 50GB. According
to rumors Toshiba is planning to release a
larger drive with identical parameters
later this year.

As to your question about cache size vs.
rpm, the answer is... it depends on the
workload. Unless your workload fits in
the cache, go with higher rpm. This is
somewhat moot anyway, since faster
drives usually sport larger caches
as well.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 7:41:05 AM

John wrote:
> I am looking at a new Dell Inspiron XPS laptop. It has hard drive
> options of:
>
> - 60GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> - 60GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache (11MS Seek)
> - 80GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> - 100GB 4200RPM 8MB Cache (12MS Seek)
>
> It comes with the first one of course. Both the upgrade to the 60GB
> 7200 and the 80GB 4200 are $99. You will notice that the 100GB is
> 4200RPM however has 8MB Cache. Question, what is better, more cache
> or higher RPM's? Obviously the 60GB second one has both, however is a
> lower size. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> JR

Depends on what your priorities are.

Higher-RPM drives generate more heat and draw more current. With a 7200
RPM drive, you can expect faster seek times (I suspect those seek times
you quoted aren't entirely accurate)... You can also expect shorter
battery-life, and the potential for higher heat build-up (in a laptop
brand not generally known for keeping its cool).

Up to you.
June 24, 2004 1:58:07 AM

Keep in mind Seagate's newly announced HD's. They've got a 7200 rpm 100GB
drive coming out "soon".
http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/a...

Clint

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message

> "John" <jriker1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | I am looking at a new Dell Inspiron XPS laptop. It has hard drive
> | options of:
> |
> | - 60GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> | - 60GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache (11MS Seek)
> | - 80GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> | - 100GB 4200RPM 8MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> |
> | It comes with the first one of course. Both the upgrade to the 60GB
> | 7200 and the 80GB 4200 are $99. You will notice that the 100GB is
> | 4200RPM however has 8MB Cache. Question, what is better, more cache
> | or higher RPM's? Obviously the 60GB second one has both, however is a
> | lower size. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
> |

> The 7200RPM notebook drives are WAY WAY faster than the 4200RPM drives. As
> soon as I can afford it, my 4200RPM 80GB drive is coming out of my A64 to
be
> replaced by a 7200RPM 60GB drive. The difference in speed is well worth
the
> sacrifice of 20GB if "internal" HD space. I will be taking the wimpy
4200RPM
> 80GB drive and putting it into an enclosure and making it an external
drive.

June 24, 2004 3:53:09 AM

I personally would go with the higher cache; the 8mb kicks the 2mb cache's
arse, even when it's had a few buds...

The R.P.M doesn't matter too much, as this can vary anyway dependant on
'conditions'. I'm tired and not going to go into this here, but the 8mb
cache would be very useful.

It's up to yourself though, don't kick yourself over it. £99 for a 2mb ache
tto an 8mb cache however isn't worth the money in my opinion.

"John" <jriker1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am looking at a new Dell Inspiron XPS laptop. It has hard drive
> options of:
>
> - 60GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> - 60GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache (11MS Seek)
> - 80GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> - 100GB 4200RPM 8MB Cache (12MS Seek)
>
> It comes with the first one of course. Both the upgrade to the 60GB
> 7200 and the 80GB 4200 are $99. You will notice that the 100GB is
> 4200RPM however has 8MB Cache. Question, what is better, more cache
> or higher RPM's? Obviously the 60GB second one has both, however is a
> lower size. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> JR
June 24, 2004 3:25:00 PM

"Dave" davedave@mail.com
>I personally would go with the higher cache; the 8mb kicks the 2mb cache's
>arse, even when it's had a few buds...

Agree, Dave ... John, checkout 16.3MB Cache at $139:

Toshiba MK6022GAX - 60GB - 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

I upgrade from a 40GB GNC to this HDD several months ago and find it
very fast, quiet and cool in a ThinkPad T23.

Regards ... John
June 24, 2004 3:25:01 PM

"John" <jeshoemaker@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> "John" <jriker1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> I am looking at a new Dell Inspiron XPS laptop. It has hard drive
> >> options of:
> >>
> >> - 60GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> >> - 60GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache (11MS Seek)
> >> - 80GB 4200RPM 2MB Cache (12MS Seek)
> >> - 100GB 4200RPM 8MB Cache (12MS Seek)
>
> "Dave" davedave@mail.com
> >I personally would go with the higher cache; the 8mb kicks the 2mb
cache's
> >arse, even when it's had a few buds...
>
> Agree, Dave ... John, checkout 16.3MB Cache at $139:
>
> Toshiba MK6022GAX - 60GB - 9.5mm - 5400RPM - 16.3MB Buffer
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
>
> I upgrade from a 40GB GNC to this HDD several months ago and find it
> very fast, quiet and cool in a ThinkPad T23.

Won't the OP have to be very careful about adding or replacing any internal
parts in a Dell? Won't his alterations void his warranty and/or support?
I'd love to be wrong about this as there's a friend with a Gateway, still
under warranty, who is wanting to max out RAM and add an internal zip.

--
Tara
June 25, 2004 5:12:50 PM

>Won't his alterations void his warranty and/or support?

Tara,

Save the original components to reinstall before sending
the unit to the manufacturer for hardware support.

John
!