Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Graphics Cards
  • Monitors
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 19, 2009 2:34:02 AM

I just installed a 9800GT but when I powered up the monitor was not receiving a signal. I took out the 9800GT and put my old 7950GT back in. Same thing. I can hear the HDs power up and everything else powers on, including either video card but the monitor still receives no signal. I plugged the monitor into my laptop and the monitor worked just fine. I'm flummoxed. I believe the computer is not posting but I can't remember if it ever made a beep to let me know that it had. I'm guessing it isn't posting but no 100% sure. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Here are a few things I already tried.

I checked all the power connectors to make sure they were all tightly plugged in.
I removed the Cmos battery for a few minutes.
I removed the video card and tried booting but still no beep (not sure it had one to begin with).

More about : computer booting input detected

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 19, 2009 2:55:37 AM

Make sure you plugged in the 4/8 pin CPU power.
November 19, 2009 3:17:47 AM

Well I am stupid and didn't have the 4 pin plugged in. I did that now, however this didn't fix the problem. I did notice my "Dbracket" (4 LED lights that let me know potential problems with booting) had the two bottom LEDs red. According to the user manual it means:
"Decompressing BIOS image to RAM for fast booting "

However it just sits there and never goes any further. It should eventually turn all green.

I have a MSI p6n platinum mobo.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 19, 2009 3:32:16 AM

Use the delete key to get into the BIOS. Make sure your type of keyboard is enabled (usb or PS2).
m
l
November 19, 2009 3:56:52 AM

Never mind. I have diagnosed the problem. The problem is I am an idiot. After plugging the 4 pin power back in I removed the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and now both video cards work fine and the computer boots fine.
m
l
November 19, 2009 5:11:42 AM

Thanks for your help though with reminding me to plug the CPU power in. :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 19, 2009 10:55:26 AM

It's a common mistake. You're welcome.
m
l
!