Way to know if card is damaged?

craga2012

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Hello im new here so im really sorry for being a total noob.

I recently bought a asus radeon hd 6670 ddr3 gpu. I noticed in the ati ccc that you could overclock so i thought hey lets give it a go, even though i didnt really know what i was doing.

I think i put the mem clock and core clock too high, (stock 800mhz core/900mhz mem to 860/965)
After a few minutes playing games the screen would freeze then BSOD saying something about a video refresh error. This happened 5 times.

Ive now put them back to default and things seem normal.

However, being the paranoid soul i am im just wondering if theres a way to know if the card might have suffered damage with the stress/heat? ccc says the idle temps are around 30c with fan speed 55% so things seem ok.

The screen would have glitches and stuff if the card was damaged right?

Thanks for any help.

you did what ati and nvidia qa dept does when they bin the gpus. if a top of the line gpu hangs at a set speed but passes at a lower speed the vendor does not toss the chip they rebin the chip as a lower speed gpu. the only way to kill a gpu would be to send to much power though the gpu or stop the fan and running the card. the trick with overclocking is to raise the speed slowly then run prime95 or another diags to stress the gpu..while your stressing the gpu or cpu watch the temps. you want to be able to push it but no to far that the gpu temp is going to fry the gpu.

Fairly sure your fine, test your card with Furmark and watch the temperatures (leave it running for about 20 minutes to get max temp)

as for the overclock, honestly that was a pretty light overclock. As long as you didn't touch voltages your fine.

Gpus have temperature warning limits also, they don't allow themselves to fry (unless the temp diode is defective)

Furmark is for gpus, Prime95 is for cpus

Pretty sure thats not what they do with video cards... seeing as all the cards in a specific family (IE 66xx) all have different capacitors/transistors/rops/memory/pasta/flimflam/etc and I think in some instances different architecture.

IE they don't sell a defective 6770 as a 6750 (true they do it with "Some" cards but they are few and far between, like the 6790 and the 560 ti 448)