Sign in with
Your question

Computer unresponsive keeps running CHKDSK

Last response: in Windows XP
May 21, 2012 7:07:20 PM

I have started a CHKDSK because computer wasn'tstarting correctly. Well now it continues doing a CHKDSK on start up, will now load windows even though it says after scan that all is ok then just sticks on ...loading windows. Now I can't stop the CHKDSK and it wants to scan, without giving me access to stop. I'm stuck, I've tried doing the scan in safe mode and unable to it from there. I can get to C:\chkdsk /r or /f and nothing happens. Even put a space after the C:\ and nothing!! I don't know what else to do. Can someone help.

It sticks at the reloading windows after all cleared from chkdsk scan. So when I hard boot again it wants to scan again. Grrrr!

Thanks for any help
May 21, 2012 7:35:10 PM

amaynard said:
I have started a CHKDSK because computer wasn'tstarting correctly. Well now it continues doing a CHKDSK on start up, will now load windows even though it says after scan that all is ok then just sticks on ...loading windows. Now I can't stop the CHKDSK and it wants to scan, without giving me access to stop. I'm stuck, I've tried doing the scan in safe mode and unable to it from there. I can get to C:\chkdsk /r or /f and nothing happens. Even put a space after the C:\ and nothing!! I don't know what else to do. Can someone help.

It sticks at the reloading windows after all cleared from chkdsk scan. So when I hard boot again it wants to scan again. Grrrr!

Thanks for any help

Try: chkdsk c: /r

1 - chkdsk will be scheduled if error on drive. (dirty bit is turned on)
2 - Look in scheduled tasks to see if entry for chkdsk is there. Delete it, if so.
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 8:10:56 PM

I do not know where to see that, but it's weird after I posted and tried rebooting agin (6th time) it finally started to windows correctly. Can I now do a scan again to have it fix so that it will not happen again? Thank you for replying so quickly, I thought I'd have to wait days. Was on Laptop, now on the Desktop where I was having the issues. Thank you
m
l
!