Sign in with
Your question
Solved

MA785GT-UD3H Crossfire?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 24, 2010 1:10:00 PM

Hey guys, quick question..
Can you crossfire on the MA785GT-UD3H? I'm not talking about Hybrid Crossfire with the IGP. I mean actually use two, lets say 5770's? I know its not optimal because the second PCIe slot runs at x4 but the chipset should support the physical crossfire shouldn't it? One 5770 in the x16 and the other in the x16 (x4 electrical)?

More about : ma785gt ud3h crossfire

a c 135 V Motherboard
May 24, 2010 3:49:50 PM

Hello :) 
Yes it will run CrossFire @ 16x4x,but i don't recommend it,since it doesn't perform very well compared to dual 8x/16x,so if you are considering crossfire get a board with dual 8x/16x setup
m
l
a c 295 V Motherboard
May 24, 2010 3:50:20 PM

Hi.

U can try, but I think that isn't supported since the Gigabyte's web page don't say anything about Crossfire on that mobo.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 24, 2010 4:08:58 PM

@Maziar, you think it will be bottlenecked that bad, its half the power of a 5870 (give or take) and that is barely bottlenecked by x8 slot

personally i don't think it will matter too much for a mid range card, though i still wouldn't recommend it since it could lower performance
m
l
May 24, 2010 4:20:42 PM

saint19 said:
Hi.
U can try, but I think that isn't supported since the Gigabyte's web page don't say anything about Crossfire on that mobo.

Thats what I first thought but after looking into it I dont see why it couldnt. Just want to know if I'm missing something. Running @ x16 x4 only drops the relative performance level of a 5870 by 5% I'm not too worried. Its not for me anyway :) 
If a mobo has 2x16 slots (electrical x16 or not), CF should still work I presume. The SB710 SB can handle it I'm just not sure about the 785G NB.

Maziar said:
Hello :) 
Yes it will run CrossFire @ 16x4x,but i don't recommend it,since it doesn't perform very well compared to dual 8x/16x,so if you are considering crossfire get a board with dual 8x/16x setup

Are you able to explain a little bit why it will work?
m
l

Best solution

a c 135 V Motherboard
May 24, 2010 10:00:10 PM

Well it will work because according to the gigabyte:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...
It supports CrossFire @ 16x4x,so you can use 2 cards on it for CrossFire,however it won't perform as well as dual 8x/16x motherboards.
So you can use 2 5770's on it but they are limited to 16x4x and won't show their full crossfire potential
May 28, 2010 9:16:22 AM

Hey, just an update for anyone interested. Maziar thanks looks like you were correct. This is the email I got from GB.

["Q.
Hey guys, quick question.
Can you crossfire on the MA785GT-UD3H? I'm not talking about Hybrid Crossfire with the IGP. I mean actually use two, lets say 5770 GPU's?

A.
Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. yes, GA-MA785GT-UD3H(rev. 1.3) supports two 5770 card on both PCI-E 16 slots.
If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY"]
m
l
a c 295 V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 2:01:53 PM

^Like Maziar says the mobo can support Crossfire @ x4 but at that speed u won't see any performance difference with one or two GPUs.
m
l
a c 135 V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 4:44:07 PM

True^
16x4x is the worst performing CrossFire option,like i said in my earlier post,if you want to CF,then get a board which supports it @ either dual 8x or dual 16x for the best performance
m
l
a c 135 V Motherboard
May 28, 2010 8:24:46 PM

I am not talking about "one" card running @ 4x,i meant running 2 cards on 16x4x.
Here is an old but great article which compares CrossFire modes(16x4x,dual 8x and dual 16x)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-pci-expre...
From the conclusion
"Individual benchmarks showed that CrossFire performance is far too inconsistent on P35 and P965 chipsets to recommend it universally. In fact, several benchmarks suffered significant performance losses due to the low bandwidth of the second graphics card slot. Owners of these ill-equipped motherboards must carefully consider which games they’d like to continue playing before taking the plunge.

The easy solution for P965 and P35 Express systems is to simply use a single, more powerful card. At the very least, the issue we encountered where a secondary PCI Express x4 slot’s limited bandwidth hurt performance can be avoided by using a single card, so comments such as "CrossFire doesn’t work right" wouldn’t apply to single-card CrossFire solutions such as the HD 4870 X2. But the point of this article was to judge the viability of adding a second card when a reasonably good card is already installed, and this is an area where P965 and P35 Express motherboards simply cannot be upgraded to compete with modern builds."
m
l
June 9, 2010 7:36:26 AM

Best answer selected by kg-train.
m
l
August 4, 2011 11:44:04 AM

Hello to all, I think the information in this thread is wrong. The GA-MA785GT-UD3H cannot CrossFire. It supports Hyprid CrossFire (between IGP and GPU card) but not CrossFire (between two GPU cards). I have sent a query to Gigabyte and they confirmed this!! Has anyone really tried to CrossFire two GPU cards on this board??

m
l
!