Sign in with
Your question

How to make the move...

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2011 6:25:27 AM

So I have windows 7 - 64 on the way from newegg. I need to get an ssd and two 6950's for my rig before BF3 arrives from there too. It looks like the M4 is on sale and a no brainer.

Here is where I need some gentle prodding... :) 

I have gathered from advice over and over again that as far as my 300gb velociraptor goes, I should wipe that clean before reinstalling it after putting the new os on my new ssd. I have cold feet about this as I just don't know where to begin with installing family photos again and word docs I don't even know I need right now and my security software and...

Any advice here or reassurances moving from a full 300gb hdd as my only drive to my secondary drive?

Thanks in advance.

More about : make move

a c 82 G Storage
October 16, 2011 12:30:06 PM

Before anything else, make sure that you have a good backup on an external device. If the velociraptor won't be your boot drive, then it should be disconnected while you install the OS on the SSD. Then reconnect it and decide if you wipe it out or if you only delete the folders that no longer are required.
m
l
October 16, 2011 5:13:31 PM

I've never had an external backup before...
m
l
Related resources
October 16, 2011 5:14:28 PM

It seems (from what I have heard) that putting the drive back in with the vista-ed information all over it, is not a very good idea when I install win 7 on the new ssd. Does that seem accurate or maybe not?

Thanks.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
October 16, 2011 5:19:19 PM

If the drive isn't connected, then it causes no problems at Win 7 installation time. When you reconnect it, you can simply delete the folders that you no longer need. Note that you may have to take ownership, but you shouldn't reinitialize the drive if you don't have a backup (though I presume that the drive contents isn't that important if you don't back it up).
m
l
October 16, 2011 7:27:22 PM

There's nothing business related on there etc. Mostly its a matter of family photos (which are on the original media still as well), saved games (I'd really like to not lose my two 50+ level Borderlands characters), some other software like my security software and blu-ray software and my optimization software that was all purchased and downloaded (so I don't have disks to reinstall them).

m
l
a c 82 G Storage
October 16, 2011 7:30:40 PM

You could burn important files/folders to DVD or Blu-Ray.
m
l
October 16, 2011 7:35:59 PM

I was kind of thinking of doing that. I made a list of the files I seem to need/use. There are a lot of them but I was considering that option. Does that seem reasonable? I'm not sure I'd know exactly how to find and save my saved character files for Borderlands, but for my Tune Up software and my Vipre antivirus and my power DVD I suppose I could just copy and transfer the whole file and cross my fingers.
m
l
October 16, 2011 7:44:56 PM

What happens when I set up the new ssd with windows 7 and then connect he old hdd?
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
October 16, 2011 7:51:39 PM

As long as the boot drive is the SSD, then nothing special happens. You should see the hard disk and it should be accessible. This is no different than connecting an eSATA hard disk to your system.
m
l
October 16, 2011 9:19:01 PM

Maybe I'll just start with that setup then and 'uninstall windows vista' after connecting the hdd again. I suppose I can troubleshoot problems if they arise.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
October 16, 2011 9:24:25 PM

You can't uninstall Vista; you simply delete the folders and it's gone.
m
l
October 16, 2011 9:55:15 PM

Alright, I'll drag them to the trash can and kick them to the curb. :) 

That must be why some people highly suggest not going this route. I image there are fragments of vista left over then right?
m
l
October 16, 2011 9:57:07 PM

I would do a little research on home to migrate from an HD to an SSD. If it is a WD drive you can create a backup of your main drive and remount it on the SSD using acronis true image wd edition (free download from Wd). Now you need to do a little research and ask a few questions but it can be done and it is pretty easy to do it. I migrated my raid 5 setup to a raid 0 via backups using the free Acronic True Image WD edition. I had never used backups before but took my time, asked a bunch of questions, made a couple of mistakes and finally got it to work. only took about an hour or two. Now I understand the importance of good backups.
m
l
October 16, 2011 10:08:07 PM

I feel like I'm definitely going about this the 'wrong' way according to most enthusiasts. I don't have an external drive, but I imagine that would make this all much easier.

Perhaps I need to bite the bullet and spend $60 on a cheap backup external drive. My current hdd is only 300gb.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
October 17, 2011 12:45:10 AM

axlrose said:
Alright, I'll drag them to the trash can and kick them to the curb. :) 

That must be why some people highly suggest not going this route. I image there are fragments of vista left over then right?

Only if you don't know how to delete files and folders.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
October 17, 2011 12:47:15 AM

axlrose said:
I feel like I'm definitely going about this the 'wrong' way according to most enthusiasts. I don't have an external drive, but I imagine that would make this all much easier.

Perhaps I need to bite the bullet and spend $60 on a cheap backup external drive. My current hdd is only 300gb.

Would it be an issue if you lost everything on the hard disk? Your answer determines if you should perform backups or not.
m
l
October 24, 2011 2:13:42 AM

I purchased a 500gb passport drive as a backup last night along with a 128gb M4 and two 2gb sapphire toxic 6950's. I'll probably be back this week trying to figure out just exactly how to do things with my 300gb velociraptor mostly full, my 500gb back up drive to use and my new os on the ssd.

Stay tuned! :) 
m
l
October 30, 2011 2:38:22 PM

Okay, after much work last night (until about 5:30am) I appear to be up and stable with windows 7-64. I am wondering if this is the safe point to shut down, reconnect power and sata to my previous boot hdd and simply tell it to run not as the boot drive? Then I might not have to start digging for install disks and I might have CPU-Z to check my current setup because it's on there without redownloading it? Is it that simple to access what is on my previous boot drive once it is corrected?
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
October 30, 2011 2:50:31 PM

Don't try to make something extremely simple complicated. As long as the system is configured to boot from the correct hard disk, it will work.
m
l
October 30, 2011 3:06:59 PM

Didn't meant to ask a dumb question, just happy windows 7 is up and running smoothly so far and I didn't want to jinx it by connecting the old drive with windows vista on it, even while it's not the boot drive. Thanks for the reassurance.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
October 30, 2011 3:47:33 PM

Your question wasn't dumb, but it indicated that you were scared. Just connect the second drive and then make sure that the drive with Windows 7 is your boot drive.
m
l
October 30, 2011 5:34:28 PM

Yeah, no problem there. Just did that and here's where I'm unsure of how to proceed. So I boot up and, for example, have CPU-Z on my old boot drive, but now obviously it's not in my programs etc. I can manually go find it, but then I think it's telling me it is the 32 bit version and now my os is 64 bit.

Am I accurate in seeing my former boot drive as essentially a back up drive now, meaning I can't access the programs through the start menu etc. unless I were to uninstall and reinstall them on the same drive now that I have a new os?
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
October 30, 2011 5:47:10 PM

Programs installed on the old drive belong to the old OS. You can't uninstall them from the old drive unless you boot from it. Just reinstall your programs and delete the folders that you no longer need on the old drive or reformat it once you've migrated personal data, etc.
m
l
October 30, 2011 8:30:15 PM

Am I out of luck with software like Vipre (anti-virus) and TuneUp Utilities then that I renew with a subscription every year?
m
l
October 30, 2011 8:36:13 PM

Is there an easy way to 'update all drivers'? I don't have sound yet for example.

Thanks.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
October 30, 2011 9:17:32 PM

You can reinstall any legally acquired software (and other if you wish to). Get the drivers either from the motherboard manufacturer or from the chip's OEM (which I prefer as they usually are the latest).
m
l
!