Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cd rom not working

Last response: in Windows XP
May 22, 2012 1:10:11 AM

Hello,
I went to my cd drive and put a blank tape in and then went to drive e and right clicked it, and then clicked properties, but there is no recording tab in windows xp. I cannot get anything to work, cannot record or open a cd or dvr. Any suggestions would be appreciated. After putting in the disk and clicking on open, I also get the message: Drive E is inaccessible.

More about : rom working

May 22, 2012 1:28:33 PM

camaro77 said:
Hello,
I went to my cd drive and put a blank tape in and then went to drive e and right clicked it, and then clicked properties, but there is no recording tab in windows xp. I cannot get anything to work, cannot record or open a cd or dvr. Any suggestions would be appreciated. After putting in the disk and clicking on open, I also get the message: Drive E is inaccessible.

You can't put Tape in a CD drive :lol: 
is there an error in device manager ?

With the media inserted, is a drive letter assigned to CD in "Disk Management" ?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 24, 2012 9:09:54 PM

I meant to say disk and no error in device manager
m
l
May 24, 2012 9:37:09 PM

Hi nhasian
I see that you are a microsoft certified professional. I was wondering if you could help me with a problem pertaining to why I cannot write to cd's or record to dvr's, but I can play a video or open a cd that is all ready written on. When I put in a blank disk, the icon lights up in My Computer. However, when I click on it to open it; it gives me the message:E is not accessible, incorrect function. I have went to the registry and tried to delete the high and low filters, but they are not there. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated
m
l
May 25, 2012 3:58:48 AM

do you know if the blank media is compatible with your burner?
m
l

Best solution

May 25, 2012 5:27:30 AM

The problem often occurs after updating the operating system, the CD DVD driver is corrupted, and ceases to function. This has been reported hundreds of times in this forum.
The difficulty being that there is NO stand alone driver, the drivers are included in the installation of XP, but are not available by themselves.
And furthermore, if you DO install the driver, and fix the CD DVD, another update of the operating system will wipe the driver AGAIN.
This does not happen on all computers, but it for sure occurs on some brands and models. One or more of the "updates" causes the computer to malfunction.
The updates are not compatible with some computers, especially older ones.

There are a few solutions to have the driver restored, and some of the are:
1. restore the system to an earlier time before the problem started, using system restore.
2. Do the "repair" installation of windows XP, which does not wipe your files or programs. BUT it will replace the driver.
The directions for a repair installation are posted at the top of THIS XP forum.

3. Do This, it works on some older machines, but does not work on everything:
left click start in the lower left hand of the screen
left click run
type regedit
left click OK
Now the registry editor will come up
double left click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
double left click on SYSTEM
double left click on CurrentControlSet
double left click on Control
double left click on Class
double left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
look on the right side of the window for upper filters
right click on upper filters
left click delete
windows will then ask you to confirm deletion
click yes
look on the right side of the window for lower filters
if you do not see lower filters, you may be out of luck on this one.
right click on lower filters
left click on delete
windows will then ask to confirm deletion
click yes
Close all the windows that are open
restart the computer

4. Use a third party program called: "cd gone zip" I cannot personally verify the reliability of this solution, but several people reported it worked.

After restoring the CD DVD driver, you probably want to shut off automatic updates, to prevent the same problem from repeating itself.

You may want to check with the manufacturer of the computer, for a list of incompatible updates. You may or may not find it.

You may want to update the bios of the computer to correct the incompatibilities with the updates, but I don't recommend you try this. It could really screw things up, I mean a lot.

The reality being that the updates are not compatible with all computers, and do cause problems. That is why certain computers should not install them.

Don't think that you MUST install microsoft updates. Don't be obsessed with updating. You may want to install "certain critical" updates from the microsoft website, one at a time, and it may help you find out "which" updates cause problems.
May 26, 2012 8:08:27 PM

nhasian said:
do you know if the blank media is compatible with your burner?

I have come to the conclusion that it might be the type of cd's that are wrong for my computer. I will try and find ones that I used to use, good luck to me. Thanks for your help.
m
l
May 26, 2012 8:26:30 PM

Best answer selected by camaro77.
m
l
!