Sign in with
Your question
Solved

M4A79XTD EVO bios 2003 and AMD core unlocking

Last response: in Motherboards
May 24, 2010 4:08:26 PM

Has anyone succeeded in unlocking cores with the new bios (2003) for the M4A79XTD EVO motherboard?

I'm having trouble with unlocking my AMD Athlon II x3 440--I've turned ACC to auto and turned Unleashing on in the bios but no success. Most likely a defective, non-unlockable core in my CPU but I retain a glimmer of hope--may try testing older versions of the bios.

Best solution

May 28, 2010 1:09:15 PM

Sorry to say, you are likely out of luck. Unlocking an "extra" core or two is always a crap shoot, some CPUs will and some just wont!
Having said that, dont sweat it, the Athlon II X3 will do everything you need without the fourth core active.
I bought myself the X4 620 a few months back, then built my daughter a system with an X2 cpu, and it out runs my X4, man was i bummed, could have saved myself some money on my build if i hadnt been greedy.
And btw, on the right MB these CPU overclock GREAT!
Goodluck with the older bios effort, but i think its in vain

Dead
May 28, 2010 2:10:59 PM

Deadstick50 said:
Sorry to say, you are likely out of luck. Unlocking an "extra" core or two is always a crap shoot, some CPUs will and some just wont!
Having said that, dont sweat it, the Athlon II X3 will do everything you need without the fourth core active.
I bought myself the X4 620 a few months back, then built my daughter a system with an X2 cpu, and it out runs my X4, man was i bummed, could have saved myself some money on my build if i hadnt been greedy.
And btw, on the right MB these CPU overclock GREAT!
Goodluck with the older bios effort, but i think its in vain

Dead

Thanks for the reply, yeah I'm actually very happy with the performance from my x3 440. It runs great without the unlocked core, and combined with my XFX 5770 GPU, I've been able to run Sims 3 and Starcraft 2 beta at maxed graphic settings very comfortably on my Acer 21.5" h213h. I've been hesitating on testing out the older bios because I've heard that it's better to not update the bios if my computer is working fine.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2010 1:09:25 AM

"I've been hesitating on testing out the older bios because I've heard that it's better to not update the bios if my computer is working fine. "

While I understand where that kind of advice comes from (if its not broke dont fix it camp) I would say this in response..........If an updated bios gives you better features or a more stable system then by all means update it. What you've discussed doing with flashing in an older bios, I have never tried that and dont know if the flash utility will even allow it, so I cant offer any ideas on how good or bad that could end up.
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:15:20 AM

Best answer selected by dangman08.
m
l
!