Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus P7P55D-E Pro is this MB Solid?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 24, 2010 4:45:49 PM

Asus P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I plan to couple this with these..

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

I wish to keep Crossfirex an option in the future. Getting one of these, and maybe another in the future if neccesary. I belive this CPU wont bottleneck the GPUs..

GIGABYTE GV-R587UD-1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

I know that with alot of these Sata6gbs USB3 boards that PCI-E lanes are comprimised for the bandwidth.
In some cases, with USB3 or Sata6gbs in use, it will limit the cards to 8x or lower (or the reverse, the GPU will limit the sata/usb to old values sata 3gbs usb2.0 speeds) Ive heard the difference between 16x and 8x is very minimal, but 8x is the lowest one should go for CF setups.

From what i've gathered theres no practical use for sata6gbs at this time, but I plan to upgrade to a good HD for the OS drive when it is (or a SSD) . Also not sure if this board supports sata6gbs Raids.

Untill then I planned to use this..
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Will this be a problem with this board? Does this look like a balanced rig? I decided to post this in the MB & M Forum since all of this centers around the MB itself.

Planning to goto windows 7 with this as well, if it matters.

More about : asus p7p55d pro solid

May 25, 2010 1:35:57 PM

Also for bonus points :x Has anyone had hands on experience with this MB. Is the Bios and Fan controls good? I dont plan to OC but once its all built if temps are good I may consider learning :] so Im curious if this board is workable.
m
l
May 25, 2010 2:08:20 PM

Hey, i m building a rig too and chose the same board, and when i asked here, someone told me it won't affect Crossfire, i.e they will work normally at 8x/8x
As if its balanced, then hell ya :p  Ur graphics is a bit too good for the rig but it looks like u need it ;) 
As for coolin and stuff, i dunno srry :p  :S
For OC, i heard that its really good for OC. But maybe u wanna research that b4 overclocking cuz it doesn't only depend on the MB ;) 
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2010 2:21:15 PM

Baladya said:
Hey, i m building a rig too and chose the same board, and when i asked here, someone told me it won't affect Crossfire, i.e they will work normally at 8x/8x
As if its balanced, then hell ya :p  Ur graphics is a bit too good for the rig but it looks like u need it ;) 
As for coolin and stuff, i dunno srry :p  :S
For OC, i heard that its really good for OC. But maybe u wanna research that b4 overclocking cuz it doesn't only depend on the MB ;) 

So you would say its not balanced? (the gpu choice) Im confused. Your grammar is confusing me abit.

And thats good the sata6gbs usb3 won't effect the GPU's. Otherwise it would make the whole option useless to me. (or atleast, not worth the $$)
m
l
May 25, 2010 2:36:50 PM

nonon I m not saying that :D 
I'm saying that i expected a gpu like that in an i7 rig maybe. But that doesn't mean it won't work good. Don't worry it will work very good :) 
I dunno about the hard disk either cuz i haven't chosen mine still :p 
m
l
May 26, 2010 1:08:07 AM

Ive been debating this MB for awhile simply because ive been burned with bad MB befor. Not like.. gone bad on me.. just lack of features or un-useable Bios. And Im a total newb to OCing so I dont even know what to look for with that.

Hoping still to hear from someone :] lol
m
l
May 31, 2010 8:11:02 PM

When I was doing my search for the perfect rig, the P7P55D-E PRO was recommended for pairing with my i5-750. Now that I actually have it, I have to say I think it's working great, but I haven't really done any high-performance testing on it just yet. So far I'm very happy, and it was consistently recommended to me.
m
l
May 31, 2010 10:27:58 PM

Glad to hear! I seen a couple on the forums experiencing the cap whine from the CPU powering parts on the board. (one poor guy RMA #3 now)

Im still debating on this one. I plan to crossfire 5870's in the future, and I think the i5 will lack the power to maximise them both. So Im also looking at some 1366 boards as well. Still have probably.. a week untill I start buying parts. Right now its about a $200 difference between each system (1156 vs 1366).
m
l

Best solution

June 1, 2010 6:14:24 PM

Well, as far as an i5 board goes, it was one of the first recommended to me, and by multiple people. I've started tweaking my system and so far I'm thoroughly satisfied with the motherboard. I'm very particular about sound and even returned a brand new PSU cause it was making noise whenever windows 7 had to re-draw (ie. scrolling, resizing windows). I haven't heard my motherboard even so much as squeak at me. The only noise it makes is the beep at startup and you have to go out of your way to hear it!
June 1, 2010 11:30:48 PM

Best answer selected by ashkaji.
m
l
a c 208 V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 12:52:37 AM

The Asus Asus P7P55D-E IMO is "the" 1156 board to own.

$370 ASUS P7P55D-E Pro w/ Intel i5-750 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

Though I wouldn't put that RAM in it. These are faster (7-8-7-20 vs 7-8-7-24), $10 cheaper and low profile which will avoid any heat sink interference issues you might run into. Get it in the combo

$105 2 x 2GB Corsair DDR3-1600 CAS 7 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd look at the XFX boards which have great warranty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or , again, this board is $10 cheaper and will eliminate any Tech Support issues when the tech tries to pull the "it must be the GFX card" when you call about the MoBo...and visa versa....the Asus boards offer more OC capability

Yes, the SATA III argument is certainly true ...well partially ....remember that while transfers from the spinning disk can't saturate the SATA II bandwidth, transfers from cache can .... tests have shown significant performance boosts from comparable SATA II / SATA III drives due to this feature.

Hard Drives - Check out the performance charts and pick whatever 500 GB per platter drive performs best under your usage patterns. The 2 TB WD Black and XT from Seagate are good choice but at smaller capacities, you are limited to the Seagate 7200.12 or the Spinpoint F3. The 7200.12 excels in gaming, multimedia and pictures whereas the F3 wins at music and movie maker. See the comparisons here (copy past link in manually, link won't work in forum):

(http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...[2371]=on&prod[2770]=on)

Look at the tests that reflect your usage and choose accordingly.
m
l
June 3, 2010 1:37:03 AM

Dident initially intend for this to turn into a build request, but if you're so inclined I appreshiate it! :D  And the ram is definatly better ty!
I like corsair, there a good name ive known since windows 95 days. Gskill might be good too but they are new to me.

Ive reconsidered videocards and now I belive im going to go for 5850's instead. I'll feel less guilty with these I think haha. (one at a time)

As for hard drives, I do alot of video storage (not rendering) And I think either HD will work fine. Ill probably get the 7200.12 just for the tiny bit of gaming difference.
This is just a personal machine, so I dont think the performance differences from SSD or raids will effect me at all.

Heres the whole shibang atm, Ill check combo deals when I add to cart.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Im also looking at buying IC Diamond TIM & a CM 212 for a heatsink from amazon (cheaper then new egg).

I dont plan on over clocking, but if temps are good I will likely do light ones (atleast the CPU). Im a noob to OC and am very paranoid about damaging stuff.
m
l
June 3, 2010 1:54:54 AM

IC Diamond has a thread in THG CPU forum right now for a thermal compound giveaway. I just got mine in the mail this morning after a couple weeks of waiting and quite frankly, the tube is pretty damn big for something I got for free.
m
l
June 3, 2010 1:59:36 AM

Slayer697 said:
IC Diamond has a thread in THG CPU forum right now for a thermal compound giveaway. I just got mine in the mial this morning after a couple weeks of waiting and quite frankly, the tube is pretty damn big for something I got for free.

Awesome hehe. I can give them befor and after tests on this pc. Could do it with the next build, but then id have to apply crap stuff, test, Then clean it and apply there good stuff :X lol. It would be worth it either way.
m
l
June 3, 2010 3:00:25 AM

I bought some AS5 just for the occasion.
m
l
June 20, 2010 5:37:06 PM

Just to update the ICdiamond Gave me rediculous results over Dell stock TIM *Which many tell me is a big 'DUH'* Not sure how it will go VS AS5 but they gave me enuff leftovers for the new build + Videocard if neccesary! So Im goin with it ^^
m
l
!