GA-790XTA-UD4 rev1 with AMD X6 1090T

fontzter

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hi, just bought these two together. GB website says it supports the cpu from bios version f3. Unfortunately, the board I have is f2. Is there a way to update the bios? I don't have an older/compatible cpu and it is booting funky with the x6 installed. (reboots, hangs on splash screen, occasionally I can get in the bios after resetting cmos)

I have removed all peripherals and bread boarded the system. I'm hopeful that it is this MB/CPU compatibility issue. I would like to just upgrade the bios and not go through RMAs and waiting for weeks.

Any help would be appreciated. I've built this killer system and I can't even get it to boot. :(

Dave

Solution
I have recommended to people in the similar situation two things: google 'computer user group', find one nearby, and 'hunt up' someone who can 'borrow' you an older processor to do the flash; or, buy a cheap Sempron to do the flash... Look at it this way: for AMD's a cheap Sempron is, well, cheap: $33 w/free shipping (and you can always keep it for a troubleshooting 'spare', or auction it); for folks in the similar situation with a 'hexacore' i7, that 'spare' is two-hundred and eighty dollars! :ouch:

bilbat

Splendid
I have recommended to people in the similar situation two things: google 'computer user group', find one nearby, and 'hunt up' someone who can 'borrow' you an older processor to do the flash; or, buy a cheap Sempron to do the flash... Look at it this way: for AMD's a cheap Sempron is, well, cheap: $33 w/free shipping (and you can always keep it for a troubleshooting 'spare', or auction it); for folks in the similar situation with a 'hexacore' i7, that 'spare' is two-hundred and eighty dollars! :ouch:

Solution

fontzter

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Boy, if I could qflash it, I'd be quite happy. It seems that the board is just acting flakey though with this cpu. I can never get into qflash and have only gotten into the bios a few times. Can't seem to do it again though. Does that seem normal?

bilbat

Splendid
from another similar post:

...an 'unsupported' is likely to boot, but, may not, as many folks with 'hexacores' are discovering. If it does boot, it may appear to work, it may have just the occasional 'hang' or blue screen, or it may be continuous grief; these are not the issue - the issue is, "will it execute the entire instruction stream required to flash the new 'supporting' BIOS?" and "Am I willing to bet an RMA on it?"

fontzter

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Okay, thanks guys. I just order on of the Semprons from New Egg. Hopefully, they will ship as fast as usual. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hopefully, I'll have it up and running by the end of the week.

thanks again for the quick replies.