Will AMD processor run everything like and Intel chip?

Silicium01

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I am planning to build a PC for my Bro, I was thinking about one of the core2duo processors but then noticed AMD Athlon 2 x4 640 , which is cheaper and faster but I was not sure if this processor is 32 bit or 64 bit?

Will this amd processor run all programs and windows OSes properly? Will I need 64bit versions of software and will I face compatibility isues? Also, if this cpu runs 32 bit programs, will the difference between 64bit programs be signifficant in speed?

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
If you are spending under $200 on a chip AMD is the way to go. The one chip having a higher frequency than another doesn’t exactly may if faster; their design is different which make them perform different. Look up the bench marks of the chips you are looking at and then look at the programs that you use to see what performs best. The people who bring up ‘far superior’ and i5 have not read all of the forms here for good information. The i5 and PII 965 trade blows with i5 wining a few more by slight margins and overall costing about $50 more.