New PC, need a monitor, but what size/resolution

Donbzz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I am looking for a widescreen LCD monitor for my new PC ( 3.0 Ghz plus nVidia graphics card-NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT) so it should be able to have good video/graphics. My main use is not for watching movies and not for gaming, but for working with pictures, home videos (editing, etc.), and making DVD's. I am concerned about text displays being easily read and not sure if these resolution parameters will impact that ( I
may be using larger text fonts than many users ). So much of my viewing will not require the wide screen of a wide-screen monitor. Does text look best on a 4:3 resolution monitor?

Or the wide screen- what are the advantages & disadvantages of a high resolution LCD monitor ( 1920x1080 vs 1360vs768)?

I've been using WinXP and Vista a little. I can get Win 7; are there any improvements re. high resolution for pictures & video plus text work where the text is clear ?

Can you shed any light on this for me ?

Thanks

festerovic

Distinguished
Get the biggest monitor that your space and budget will afford. I have great readability on my 24" 1920x1200 monitor, which was purchased for roughly $200. I don't think you will save a whole lot getting a smaller or non-widerscreen monitor.

Donbzz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009

Thanks a lot for your input. I've been investigating LCD's for a couple of weeks and learning more & more; learned enough to know there was still a lot to learn & consider. My old PC is probablly 10 years old now & I updated it with new mobo, processor, Hd, etc. about 5 years ago - but not a new monitor - everything is so different now.

So thanks again !! Just before reading your post I got an add for Black Fri Blowouts and there was a
Acer X213HBid 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1920x1080, 20000:1 Native, 60Hz, HDMI within my pricerange. I had only been considering 19" maybe 20". After reading your comment I placed the order.

Thanks, Don