Sign in with
Your question

Custom vs PreAssembled Kit?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 18, 2012 11:43:33 AM

I know that liquid coolers like to build their own systems, pumps, reservoirs, etc., and there seems to be a lot of hate coming down on pre-built/pre-assembled kits that manufacturers (such as Koolance) make.

I need an external cooling solution for a GPU, and was considering the smallest Koolance unit as opposed to obtaining the parts and just hooking them up myself. I've actually done it before, but I don't really see the obvious advantages.

I was wondering why exactly people prefer to build the systems themselves, and whether there's anything inherently negative about the pre-built kit that I don't know about, or haven't considered?

On Cost: I believe the pre-built kits tend to use slightly lower quality parts (i.e. pumps), but then again, when I total up similar parts costs, the difference in price doesn't seem that dramatic.

Any thoughts out there?
April 18, 2012 12:53:13 PM

Well, i did my custom loop because I could choose specific parts to my costs and needs, and building the loop is the best part :D 
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 1:20:05 PM

the problem I have with prebuilt, is the total lifespan of the system pumps, max 3 years. tubing is the same, and the system seals. I suppose that if it is your first time water-cooling, and you are planning on throwing it away in the end to advance to a custom system. at least your going in with a radiator, but that is about to only thing salvageable from the system even the fans go out after 5 years.
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 1:52:04 PM

For the record, Koolance makes some pretty good gear.

Thermaltake is pretty poor, as is Zalman when it comes to watercooling. Corsair, etc LCS coolers are decent but really have a limited life span as their pumps are weak and aren't designed to be serviceable if/when they begin to fail.
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 2:00:06 PM

Quote:
I know that liquid coolers like to build their own systems, pumps, reservoirs, etc., and there seems to be a lot of hate coming down on pre-built/pre-assembled kits that manufacturers (such as Koolance) make.

I was wondering why exactly people prefer to build the systems themselves, and whether there's anything inherently negative about the pre-built kit that I don't know about, or haven't considered?

I don't think many of us around here necessarily hate closed loop coolers like the Antec Kuhlers and Corsairs but rather the fact that many people see them and just go ZOMG WATERCOOLING MUST HAVES, and are sometimes lazy and refuse to read the stickies to learn more.

Also, many of them feel compelled to go for the more expensive models (H100) yet don't realize that a decent kit loop costs almost the exact same (~130 for the Rasa RS240), and some even believe the closed loop coolers are thoroughly better performing than other types of coolers, including true WC loops.

It's not really the cooler we don't like, just the people and their attitudes (in general).

The problem I have with kits is that the parts aren't fantastic - you don't get a good rad or pump at all, whereas in a custom loop I can run 1/2" ID tubing instead of 1/4" and use bigger and less restrictive rads and blocks (respectively). The custom loops are (generally) cheaper when you consider performance, while the closed loop coolers are cheaper absolutely.

Quote:
I need an external cooling solution for a GPU, and was considering the smallest Koolance unit as opposed to obtaining the parts and just hooking them up myself. I've actually done it before, but I don't really see the obvious advantages.

What is this Koolance kit you speak of? Aside from universal blocks I haven't seen a "GPU kit" before (maybe I just haven't been shopping enough ;) )
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 2:34:52 PM

Quote:
I don't think many of us around here necessarily hate closed loop coolers like the Antec Kuhlers and Corsairs but rather the fact that many people see them and just go ZOMG WATERCOOLING MUST HAVES, and are sometimes lazy and refuse to read the stickies to learn more.

Also, many of them feel compelled to go for the more expensive models (H100) yet don't realize that a decent kit loop costs almost the exact same (~130 for the Rasa RS240), and some even believe the closed loop coolers are thoroughly better performing than other types of coolers, including true WC loops.

It's not really the cooler we don't like, just the people and their attitudes (in general).

The problem I have with kits is that the parts aren't fantastic - you don't get a good rad or pump at all, whereas in a custom loop I can run 1/2" ID tubing instead of 1/4" and use bigger and less restrictive rads and blocks (respectively). The custom loops are (generally) cheaper when you consider performance, while the closed loop coolers are cheaper absolutely.

I'd have to agree with this completely. Much of the discussion falls into 1 of 2 categories-

1) Those who have little knowledge and chose it based off of shelf appeal.
2) Those who don't really want anything different based off their acceptance of wanting it for simplicity or space requirements.
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 4:39:05 PM

Quote:
with that^you'd be looking at me a year ago. I learn't the hard way and now am a convert to the real deal.
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 5:32:57 PM

Which is why you are an excellent person to give the balanced argument in favour of Real water loops,
I have said before that Allinone units (or Fisherprice W/c as I refer to them) do serve a purpose but for anyone semi-serious about it, a waste because you will tear it out after a couple of months to install your new monster loop with four rads, three resses, two pumps and more fans than an Aerosmith Gig
save the money now and go big, or waste the equivalent of a decent rads money on something you will soon outgrow,
I know which I would prefer :) 
Moto
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 5:46:53 PM

Quote:
Which is why you are an excellent person to give the balanced argument in favour of Real water loops
thanks matey

Quote:
more fans than an Aerosmith Gig
:lol:  they do use alot though :p 

if i had to give a balanced answer - it'd be:
people who build/design cars in the garage as an american pastime will know that a custom Charger is far more superior than a dealership Charger.

likewise:
a custom loop is far more superior than an advertised loop

sure its costs more, but the benefits you reap are more than ten folds.

Quote:
one owner of the XSPC rasa 240 kit showed his temps to drop more than 8~10'C on load after moving up from a H80 - i can't remember the name but he's on the member gallery thread and the WC'ing gallery thread.(red tubing, AMD rig and 6870 crossifre'd)
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 18, 2012 5:53:35 PM

Plus you have the knowledge to identify and rectify any issues yourself,
who likes huge garage bills?
Personal fan count will be 23 once the radbox is done, many more than any aircooled rig hehe
Moto
a c 76 K Overclocking
April 19, 2012 2:18:57 AM

:ouch:  wow i thought it'd be 8... :/ 

Quote:
Plus you have the knowledge to identify and rectify any issues yourself
yeah thas what i meant by superior, as you know which bolt to pull out and rectify
a c 206 K Overclocking
April 12, 2013 10:39:41 AM

commissar_mo said:

On Cost: I believe the pre-built kits tend to use slightly lower quality parts (i.e. pumps), but then again, when I total up similar parts costs, the difference in price doesn't seem that dramatic.

Any thoughts out there?

I think you may be confusing hate with we simply are trying to help others avoid the same mistakes we made.

It's basic human nature to attempt to warn someone when you know further down the road the bridge is out.

That's a drastic example I know, but we see all the time, users asking for advice or understanding that have no intentions of actually taking the advice because they've already made up their minds on what they're going to do, normally they just want some last minute justification.

You say you need external GPU cooling, there are many ways to go about it, picking parts out of a kit because it seems like the cheapest option, then being stuck with shelved parts, or under powered pumps, or inadequate radiators, if you decide to expand later, but any way you look at it to water cool a GPU there are certain requirements.

You can always go the hybrid route.

http://www.xoxide.com/arcticcooling-accelerohybridgraphicscard-liquidcoolingsystem.html

Well that suggestion definitely dispelled the hate for pre-built/pre-assembled, wouldn't you say.

Would I buy that suggestion?

No! Why Not?

Because it comes with a low powered pump, a small radiator, air cooling the memory and voltage regulators on the card, and is not expandable.

So what's the best option to advise you with the limited information you have supplied?

Meaning Why:
Do you need to water cool the GPU?
Is it too noisy?
Is it running too hot compared to others of the same brand?
Do you want to overclock it?
Do you want to over-volt it?
What GPU are we talking about anyway?

The direct relation in advising you regarding water cooling a GPU only, is just a shot in the dark without the missing information.

So here's my shot in the dark!

Most every kit does not come with GPU cooling capability, the GPU cooling usually boils down to either a universal GPU water block and the memory chips and voltage regulators still air cooled, or a Full Coverage GPU water block that cools everything on the card that needs cooling.

A full coverage GPU water block is the best option, IF, you have overclocking intentions definitely requiring over-volting the graphics card!

Otherwise a full coverage GPU water block is totally card specific, meaning it will more than likely 100% not be able to be reused on your next GPU upgrade.

Unless of course you buy one that say fits a 670GTX or a 680GTX reference card, and you have a 670GTX with upgrade intentions later of going to a 680GTX, then it could be reused.

Those of us that have bought the kits, and know their shortcomings, have learned that above all when you spend your money, what will you possibly want to do future wise!

Can you reuse, what you invested in, further down the road?

That's the main reason I avoid a kit.

Hope this helps you! :) 

a c 206 K Overclocking
April 12, 2013 10:49:03 AM

AARRGGGHHH! :fou: 

I cannot believe I just typed all this out on a year old thread! :pfff:  :no: 

webdevii, I sentence you to old posting Hell! :kaola:  :lol: 
!