Motherboard: Intel DG33FB
Processor: Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz.
RAM: 2GB @ 800Mhz
HDD: 250GB SATA Seagate
500 GB SATA Seagate
Graphics Card: Asus EN8400 GS
Power supply: Odyssey 450W
DVD Drive: LG GH24NS70 (SATA)

Here goes the issue , I had a LG CD/DVD drive which was working properly for about 2+ years. All of a sudden round about 4 or 5 weeks ago the drive stopped reading discs. I thought may be a lens issue , so cleaned the lens with a lens cleaner. Still no go. Strangely my second HDD was also not working. So I replaced the DVD drive with a new one which is GH24NS70 today and still the drive is not reading any disc.

I checked online and found the 'upper filter' 'lower filter' registry . Tried that too but no go.

The tray works fine and it intakes the disc except that it doesn't read. So at this point I am assuming my Motherboard might have gone wrong. But everything else works fine in my computer. I want to reload the OS to see if that fixes but even the OS is not detecting during the boot up. Yes , I indeed changed the boot order from BIOS. I am just so much frustrated and don't know what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

More about : dvd drive work

a b G Storage
October 16, 2011 3:05:49 PM

Have you tried plugging the drive into a different sata port Then see if it reads.
Score
October 16, 2011 3:17:27 PM

christop said:
Have you tried plugging the drive into a different sata port Then see if it reads.

Tried that already christop. I have four of them and tried in 3 of them (since the 4th one is connected to the primary HDD)
Score
Related resources
November 26, 2011 3:45:05 AM

Sounds similar to my problem. Are you running Win 7?
Score
December 6, 2011 3:57:07 AM

The only thing that worked for me was to re-install Win 7 on a new drive. I got a good deal on a 1.5 tb WD from TigerDirect.com and then installed a fresh install of Win 7. It recognized all my drives and CD/DVD drives.

I also re-arranged my drive cables so that they were in order, i.e SATA 1, 2, & 3 and IDE 1&2. I don't think that was the thing that worked, but I didn't try my other Win 7 installation. The only bother is that now I two choices of Win 7 boot options. I figured out that the top one was my new install and the bottom one was the old install.

Good Luck, I wanted to increase my storage anyway, and it solved my drive recognition problem. There was or is probably a Registry edit that would have fixed the issue, but I did not see any specific directions online.

Bill
Score
February 29, 2012 5:52:44 PM

Hi,
Hope I'm not too late, and unfortunately I could not help too much....
I just have the same issue with a win 7 ultimate and an asus motherboard.
The burner did work properly before installing win updates.

I was not able to found LG driver and I'm still with a DVD drive which doesn't work.
As it seems that the topic is not definitively closed, I'm still open to solutions.

Regards,

Samuel
Score

Best solution

March 8, 2012 10:23:15 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for everybody who have tried to help me and the rest who had the issues. I was finally able to resolve this.. The issue was a dodgy SMPS. Once I replaced it everything started to work fine. Also I am with Ubuntu now happily with no issues like this :) .

Once again thanks for everybody who helped..
a c 180 G Storage
March 27, 2012 12:50:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
a c 180 G Storage
March 27, 2012 12:50:22 AM

Best answer selected by Area51reopened.
Score
!