Motherboard: Intel DG33FB
Processor: Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz.
RAM: 2GB @ 800Mhz
HDD: 250GB SATA Seagate
500 GB SATA Seagate
Graphics Card: Asus EN8400 GS
Power supply: Odyssey 450W
DVD Drive: LG GH24NS70 (SATA)

Here goes the issue , I had a LG CD/DVD drive which was working properly for about 2+ years. All of a sudden round about 4 or 5 weeks ago the drive stopped reading discs. I thought may be a lens issue , so cleaned the lens with a lens cleaner. Still no go. Strangely my second HDD was also not working. So I replaced the DVD drive with a new one which is GH24NS70 today and still the drive is not reading any disc.

I checked online and found the 'upper filter' 'lower filter' registry . Tried that too but no go.

The tray works fine and it intakes the disc except that it doesn't read. So at this point I am assuming my Motherboard might have gone wrong. But everything else works fine in my computer. I want to reload the OS to see if that fixes but even the OS is not detecting during the boot up. Yes , I indeed changed the boot order from BIOS. I am just so much frustrated and don't know what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about drive doesn work
  1. Have you tried plugging the drive into a different sata port Then see if it reads.
  2. christop said:
    Have you tried plugging the drive into a different sata port Then see if it reads.

Tried that already christop. I have four of them and tried in 3 of them (since the 4th one is connected to the primary HDD)
  3. bump :(
  4. Sounds similar to my problem. Are you running Win 7?
  5. Yes :??:
  6. The only thing that worked for me was to re-install Win 7 on a new drive. I got a good deal on a 1.5 tb WD from and then installed a fresh install of Win 7. It recognized all my drives and CD/DVD drives.

I also re-arranged my drive cables so that they were in order, i.e SATA 1, 2, & 3 and IDE 1&2. I don't think that was the thing that worked, but I didn't try my other Win 7 installation. The only bother is that now I two choices of Win 7 boot options. I figured out that the top one was my new install and the bottom one was the old install.

Good Luck, I wanted to increase my storage anyway, and it solved my drive recognition problem. There was or is probably a Registry edit that would have fixed the issue, but I did not see any specific directions online.

7. Hi,
    Hope I'm not too late, and unfortunately I could not help too much....
    I just have the same issue with a win 7 ultimate and an asus motherboard.
    The burner did work properly before installing win updates.

I was not able to found LG driver and I'm still with a DVD drive which doesn't work.
    As it seems that the topic is not definitively closed, I'm still open to solutions.

8. Hi again,
    on my side, I was able to fix the issue, following this:

removing UpperFilters registry key was enough.
    It sounds that this issue could appear after installing iTunes.

9. Best answer
    Hi guys,

Thanks for everybody who have tried to help me and the rest who had the issues. I was finally able to resolve this.. The issue was a dodgy SMPS. Once I replaced it everything started to work fine. Also I am with Ubuntu now happily with no issues like this :).

Once again thanks for everybody who helped..
  10. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
  11. Best answer selected by Area51reopened.
Ask a new question

Read More

Optical Media DVD Drives Storage