Trying to overclock, weird things happening

TrippyCake

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Windsor
2GB DDR2 PC-2 6400, 800 mhz (No Brand (?))
Abit A-N68SV
Geforce 9600 GT

I did read quite a few tutorials on overclocking my specific setup and it was quite a hassle to figure out what to do. Seems like these processors are very difficult to overclock.

I heard that the first thing to do is to find out the maximum stable system clock, while lowering the Values for the Ram Speed, "K8 <> NB" (HT Link?) and the processor multiplier to not overclock them yet.

A 3DMark Vantage run (CPU only) gave me 15.259 Points on stock settings.

I randomly did another run after I lowered all the before mentioned values and before increasing the clock.

3DMark gave me 15.198 Points, even after multiple retries, which shouldn't be happening since I change my CPU multiplier from 10x to 6x.

Thinking it didn't mean much I went back and increased the clock from 200 mhz to 210 mhz, but when I saved the settings and restarted nothing happened. The Fans went up, the hard drives started working, but no signal to my display. Restarting multiple times and plugging the pc out didn't help either.

After I reset my CMOS, everything worked fine again, until the bootmgr was missing. Seems like it tried starting from the wrong hdd without trying the other one.

My BIOS is now running in fail-safe mode and Windows 7 is telling me that every other program has just been installed and I am missing most of the icons on my desktop.

Should I just stop trying to overclock, or did I do something very wrong? My System seems to be working perfectly normal for now.

TrippyCake

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

I was talking about the base clock.
Core clock is base clock x cpu multiplier.
I know how I should overclock it but either I am making some mistake or my system can't be overclocked for whatever reason.

TrippyCake

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

In my BIOS I can set a fixed value for the PCI bus and it was always at the default 100.
That can't be it.

TrippyCake

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Help!

CPU-Z is suddenly displaying that my Core Voltage is jumping from 1.104 to 1.256 and the multiplier is changing from 5x to 10x.
What is this? Is it just my PC being in idle and therefore slowing down or is my system dieing?