/ Sign-up
Your question

First time builder in need of advice

  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 19, 2009 5:45:58 PM

Okay, It took me a while to get these 2 builds together:

Motherboard- MSI 790FX-GD70

Processor- Phenom II 955 Black Edition

Graphics Cards- Radeon HD 4870 x2

Memory- Kingston DDR3 (2x2GB) 1333MHz


PSU- Corsair TX650W

Optical Disk Drive- Sony Optiarc x24

HS- Core Contact Freezer

Case- Antec Three Hundred/ 902

Motherboard- Gigabyte P55-UD5

Processor- Intel Core i5-750

I'll be playing on a 23" Monitor with a 1650x1050 native resolution. I'm not sure if I could find a cheaper mobo that's just as good as the Gigabyte P55-UD5 and I'm also not sure if the HS will fit.

More about : time builder advice

November 19, 2009 5:59:29 PM

Change the graphics card to a 5870, dx11 support:
Retailers are raising the prices and they are hard to find but not impossible, they used to be $370.

You might want to go with a bigger hard drive. This one is new and fast, single platter:
Samsung F3 500gb:

For the i5 build, do you live near a micro center? They are selling them for $150.
The heatsink I would recommend is the hyper 212+, its cheap and it performs well.

Make sure you get a board with the revised socket for i5:

If your overclocking ddr3 1600 is recommend for i5s, the 955 is fine with 1333 ram.

Related resources
November 19, 2009 8:11:26 PM

I've decided to go with the AMD build. Since I won't have to buy a new mobo to support one of the newer processors from AMD down the road. I'm not sure though If I should buy a Radeon HD 4xxx/ Geforce GTX2xx
and wait a year or two until some nice Directx11 titles come out for the PC and then buy a GPU which supports DirectX11 and get more bang out of my buck. I won't be playing on ultra high resolutions so I can assume that the Directx10/10.1 cards will last long enough for me to sell them in 2 years and buy one of the newest Directx11 GPUs.
November 19, 2009 8:21:17 PM

I'd suggest getting a 5xxx series video card now. Then if you want more, add a 2nd down the road. You'll get more bang for your buck than buying a dx10 card now just to get rid of it for a dx11 card.
November 19, 2009 8:31:32 PM

Well then I'm going to have to spend some more cash on the 5870...Thanks for the quick replies.
November 19, 2009 8:32:49 PM

If you can find one, you could look at the 5850. They are a little cheaper, but harder to come by.
November 19, 2009 10:55:08 PM

aford10 said:
If you can find one, you could look at the 5850. They are a little cheaper, but harder to come by.

Not much cheaper..their going for $50 over retail.
November 20, 2009 11:55:50 AM

5850's are around 460 USD in Poland, while 5870's cost around 615 USD. Damnit....Might think about buying those cards in the US.
November 20, 2009 1:57:30 PM

You could also check out the 57xx's. The cost is lower and they're more available.
November 20, 2009 2:50:13 PM

I'll probably go with the 5850, just worried about processor restrictions whenever I crossfire them. I doubt it will be a problem with the Phenom II 955 BE though...One more thing, should I go with 1333MHz memory with low timings or buy 1600MHz?