Cooling question

j0rd4nn

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Okay, I have a 50mm or something fan on the side of my case, a PSU fan, intel heatsink and a 120mm fan on the back on my pc.

50mm side-case fan: exhaust
120mm back fan: intake

Is this a good idea, or should I reverse them so theres more exhaust than intake? Also, does the PSU fan blow air out?

Thanks so much!

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Is it possible to get a larger fan on the side? Something closer to the size on the back?
I would make the side fan the intake and the rear fan exhaust. The PSU should be placed in the case such that the fan is unobstructed and it does exhaust out the back of the psu. If there is an option for a front fan and you want to put one or two in, make those intake also. The point being, if cooling is your problem....and in general, you want as much air flowing in and over the mobo and out in one direction.

The PSU fan is always an exhaust so you want the back fan to be exhaust as well or you just have air flowing in a small circle. There are probably vents up front that will allow air to enter the case through so intake shouldnt be a big issue, just make sure dust doesnt start building up down there and blocking airflow.

What are your current temps? If it isnt getting too hot then cooling shouldnt be a big concern. You may want to consider swapping out the rear fan for one with more CFM, stock fans usually arent great.

j0rd4nn

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Specs: 8800GT Zotac (overclocked by stock), 2GB Ram, and a Q6600. Idling I'm around 50-52c, after gaming for an hour they are 58-65. I bought the 120mm fan and artic thermal paste today and added them, I'm thinking of buying a new heatsink and replacing the current side fan for a better one. But I would prefer your opinions please.

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
using a dremel hand tool (or to mod your case in any other way you see fit) to either make your side fan hole bigger or to make a hole on the top using jsc's suggestion.

EDIT: Just translating, not suggesting. Your choice if you want to mod.